Residents of Barkston demonstrated that those villagers who lost their lives in the First World War are far from forgotten at a special service to re-dedicate the memorial.
To coincide with this year’s centenary of the war’s outbreak, the memorial has been cleaned and repointed by G H Linnell of Grantham.
Following the restoration, a re-dedication service was held last Saturday, which was attended by 35 parishioners.
The names of the 10 Barkston men killed during WWI and one in WWII were read out and remembered in prayers led by Reverend Alan Littlewood.
Reverend Littlewood also gave a reading and used parts of the address which were read at the memorial’s original dedication service on May 22, 1921.
Barkston and Syston Parish Council clerk Malcolm Hall said: “The service concluded with a prayer of re-dedication, which reminded all who looked at the memorial of the sacrifice of those commemorated on it, and of the true cost of war and the price of freedom.”
Prior to the re-dedication Mr Hall researched the lives of the men named on the memorial, in order to create an exhibit as part of the day.
This was displayed inside St Nicholas Church where refreshments were also available after the service.
The display is still available to view by request from Mr Hall, who is continuing his research and thanked those who have already provided useful information.
The men he is researching are Thomas W Armstrong, James W Blackbourn, Arthur Edward Bradford, Joseph Dolby, Ernest Drury, Elijah Embling, George Fovargue, Alfred Henry Higgins, Bernard Watson and John Charles Watson.
If you have any details or want to see the display call Mr Hall on 01476 566984.