Home   News   Article

Robert Vidler jailed after leaving voicemails containing death threats including to Grantham MP Nick Boles

A pro-Brexit father-of-three who left voicemails containing death threats for serving Members of Parliament has been jailed.

Robert Vidler, 64, hurled expletives and threatened violence in calls to the offices of Labour and Conservative MPs in January this year, a court heard.

A trial at City of London Magistrates’ Court on Friday was told that voicemails were intercepted by members of staff working for independent Stamford MP Nick Boles and Tory MP Dominic Grieve.

Nick Boles MP (14967861)
Nick Boles MP (14967861)

Calls were also picked up by staff at the offices of shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer, Labour MP Barry Gardiner, Tory MP Nicky Morgan, and Labour MP Jenny Chapman, the court heard.

Vidler, from west Harrow in London, denied five charges of harassment without violence against MPs’ staff and three counts of sending menacing or obscene messages or material over a public communications network.

Prosecutor Philip Stott told the court the calls were made to the offices of MPs “considered to be anti-Brexit”.

“The calls were all made from the defendant’s mobile telephone,” Mr Stott added.

“He states that he did not make the calls and someone else must have done so using his telephone.”

Several of the short voicemail recordings left by Vidler were played to the court.

In one message left for Mr Boles on January 13, picked up by the MP’s personal assistant, Jane Gordon-Cumming, Vidler said: “Nick Boles, if you f*** up Brexit we will cut your f***** throat. We know where you live and we know your f****** timetable and we ain’t joking.”

Similar messages were left for the other MPs.

Mr Stott said Vidler was arrested after voluntarily attending Harrow Police Station in January and handing over his phone.

An analysis of its contents revealed Google searches for the MPs and text messages to Vidler’s daughter in which he shared his pro-Brexit views.

Giving evidence, Vidler said he had “no idea” how the calls came to be made from his pay-as-you-go mobile phone.

“I support Brexit, yes, I admit that, but not to the extent that I would phone up people. I wouldn’t waste my time and money doing that,” he said.

Deputy chief magistrate Tan Ikram found Vidler guilty of all the charges after hearing what he described as “overwhelming” evidence against the defendant.

In reaching his verdict, Mr Ikram said the offences were committed “with the backdrop [of] a Member of Parliament having previously been murdered” - an apparent reference to the killing of Labour MP Jo Cox in 2016.

He said the impact on Vidler’s victims would have been “profound”, adding that the offences undermined “the free democratic society in which we live”.

The court heard that Vidler, who admitted to having a “drink problem”, had 18 previous convictions dating back to 2002, including for causing criminal damage, being drunk and disorderly, and assaulting a police constable.

He was sentenced to 18 weeks for each of the eight offences, all to be served concurrently, and ordered to pay £300 costs and a £115 victim surcharge. He was also made subject to a criminal behaviour order which prevents him from contacting any MP except his own.

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More