And finally, Sunday’s RotarySwimarathon team shots and action pictures.
More than 1,300 swimmers in 222 teams swam at The Meres like they had never done before to raise funds for charities and deserving causes in and around Grantham.
Organised by the Rotary Club of Grantham, this was their 27th event and over the years the total raised is an incredible £726,772 – this is expected to rise to more than £730,000 once all sponsorship is collected, including Gift Aid.
The amount pledged at the end of last week’s event was £28,437 and the number of lengths completed was 32,147, the equivalent of 500 miles.
The individual team to pledge the highest amount was The Grantham Preparatory School with £680.
On Friday evening, local Olympic and Commonwealth GB swimmer Sophie Allen visited the event and, much to the delight of those there, joined in with teams from Inspire+, providing them with training tips along the way.
Starting the event off on Friday was Mayor of Grantham Jacky Smith and Rotary District Governor Geoff Blurton, who said he was amazed by the event because it summed up exactly what Rotarians are good at and that is helping their community.
Grantham Rotarian Roger Graves said: “Our aim is to put on a local event that everybody can enjoy and at the same time raise funds for the community. We are very fortunate that we have many corporate sponsors who cover the total cost, which means that every penny raised by the swimmers goed back into the community – 90 per cent goes directly to charities and the remaining 10 per cent to the Rotary Club of Grantham to finance local projects which the club is directly involved with, i.e. the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards and Youth Exchange.”
Mr Graves said there is a huge amount of work that goes on behind the scenes before and during the event and thanked all the helpers for what in total amounts to nearly 600 hours of voluntary work over three days.
The club has asked that people get their monies in as soon as possible. Any organisation wishing to apply for a grant from this year’s event should register at www.rotaryswimarathon.org and then complete the grant application form – alternatively, e-mail email@example.com
Rotary club president David Burr said: “We are very proud of our event but it would not be what it is today without the tremendous support of the schools, businesses, organisations and many others who get involved and we would like to say a big thank you to you all.”