Teen who gave police his twin brother’s details is spared jail

Court news.
Court news.
Share this article
Have your say

A teenager who gave his twin brother’s details when he was stopped for driving offences has escaped immediate custody.

Benjamin Garratt was pulled over by police as he drove his mother’s car through Grantham in the early hours of the morning.

Hal Ewing, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court that Garratt gave the name of his twin brother James but was unable to produce any documents at the scene.

He did not respond to a form requiring him to produce his licence and insurance documents and as a result his brother was issued with a summons to appear in court.

Mr Ewing said that the brothers, realising the situation they were in, went to police and explained the true situation but a mix-up resulted in James Garratt being convicted in his absence by magistrates in March when he was fined and given six points leading to the revocation of his licence.

After that both brothers again contacted police and the subsequent investigation led to James Garratt having his conviction quashed while proceedings were begun against Benjamin.

Benjamin Garratt, 19, of Lime Grove, Grantham, admitted doing an act intending to pervert the course of justice on 13 October as a result of giving false details when stopped by police. He also admitted driving without insurance and driving without a licence.

Garratt was given a three month custodial sentence suspended for a year with 100 hours of unpaid work. He also received six penalty points on his driving licence which means he is disqualified for six months under the totting up procedure.

Judge Sean Morris, passing sentence, said: “This was a spur of the moment act of stupidity.

“Anybody who lies to the police ordinarily goes away but you have not got away with it as you have admitted the driving offences.”

Chris Milligan, defending, said: “He confessed to what he had done straight away. It is very unfortunate that the police were not able to get that confession to the Crown Prosecution Service and as a result his brother was taken to court.”