Then & Now: Argos stands on former Grantham garage site
Campion’s garage was situated on Guildhall Street, on the site of what is now Argos.
Weekly adverts in the Grantham Journal advertised cars and bikes for sale, as well as recruiting for new employees.
In 1950, their telephone number was Grantham 112, and the cars that were for sale included: 1939 Standard 12 HP, engine overhauled, reground, crankshaft fitted, brakes relined, body in excellent condition; 1935 Ford 8 Saloon, in good mechanical condition, good tyres, taxed to the end of the year; 1947 Humber Snipe, grey with grey upholstery, in immaculate condition.
In 1951, the garage advertised for a ‘smart boy’ to work in the shop, offering ‘an excellent opportunity to learn the cycle trade’.