What is now Jewson was originally the showroom for Mr Boyall’s Brownlow Carriage Works.
It had a variety of later uses, including as the Orderly Room for a battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment.
In 1909 it became the Premier Skating Rink or King’s Hall and could be hired for meetings, concerts or weddings.
By 1911 it had become the King’s Picture Palace, an 800 seat cinema and in 1918, Central Hall, where the YMCA was housed.
Latterly, English Bros. bought the premises, which later was taken over by Jewson.