The Great Northern Hotel stood where Wetherspoons is now, formerly the Coop, on the corner of St Peter’s Hill and St Catherine’s Road.
It was demolished before the Coop was built in 1888. The hotel was originally called The Stingo Tavern, but was altered to The Great Northern Tavern because it was frequented by the railway navvies, during the making of the Great Northern Railway.
After it was renamed, it continued to be known as The Stingo by the local people. Stingo is a strong ale dating from the eighteenth century.