Home   News   Article

Witnesses come forward in IPCC investigation into electric shock by Grantham railway

Paramedics attend the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown.
Paramedics attend the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) say that several witnesses have come forward, as their investigation continues into how a man came to suffer a severe electric shock after running from police.

Today an IPCC spokesman said: “The man, who is 27, remains in a critical condition in hospital.

The air ambulance lands at the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown
The air ambulance lands at the scene. Photo credit: Darren Brown

“The IPCC investigation is underway and the organisation is now speaking to several witnesses who came forward following the IPCC witness appeal last month.”

On Thursday, April 28, emergency services scrambled to the railway tracks behind South Parade Business Park at around 3pm, where the man from Peterborough is believed to have climbed up and come into contact with overhead electrical cables, before falling seven metres to the ground.

An air ambulance landed nearby and the injured man was airlifted to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman also confirmed that due to his condition, no charges have yet been made against him.

The man is said to have failed to stop when approached by police in the town centre, before being pursued by officers to the railway line.

The referral to the IPCC by Lincolnshire Police is standard procedure in circumstances such as these.

Several members of the public saw the events unfold. Darren Brown, who was in the nearby Aldi car park at the time, said: “I saw a lot of police and paramedics running backwards and forwards along the train track.

“At first we thought it was a railway worker as a railway worker was there taking pictures of what looked like a tree. We later found out from a Dunelm Mill worker who was talking to an officer that the injured person had been running from officers, climbed up a pole and was electrocuted, and then taken to hospital by the air ambulance.”

Jo Wilson was also passing at the time, and said: “I have just driven down Spittlegate level. Air ambulance, two normal ambulances, six police cars and fire engines are all there.”

A spokesman for East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) added: “We received an emergency call at 3.08pm reporting that a man in his late 20s had been electrocuted by overhead wires and then fallen approximately seven metres.

“We despatched several road ambulances to the incident, including the air ambulance, and liaised closely with all the agencies involved to ensure our staff were not put at risk.”

EMAS confirmed that the patient suffered burns and head injuries, and was treated at the scene before being taken away on a stretcher and flown to hospital.

There is no date yet on when the IPCC will publish the findings of its investigation.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More