Work to remove mould reveals asbestos in young mum’s Grantham flat
A young Grantham mum says she should not have to face another day in her council flat after workmen found asbestos in her bathroom.
Briony Green, 23, says she is frightened that she and her two-year-old daughter, Bella, may have been breathing in asbestos fibres for the past 18 months in her New Street flat.
Two weeks ago, the Journal reported that Miss Green had complained to the council about the mould that had taken over her home. In the bathroom, where the mould was worst, paint and Artex were peeling off the ceiling.
Workmen dealt with the mould in the bathroom only to find asbestos in the ceiling.
Miss Green told the Journal: “It’s really frightening to think I have had asbestos all that time in my flat. This is a life-threatening thing. The ceiling is all flakey and its full of asbestos.
“We should not have to live like this. Why were we not told that there was asbestos in the flat? My daughter was in hospital last week with breathing problems. She has asthma.”
She said: “I am living in a house full of asbestos and there is no excuse for that. I think it is wrong. This should not be happening. I have had no apology from the council.”
A spokesman for South Kesteven District Council said: “We follow HSE guidelines in any case where asbestos is found at any of our properties in South Kesteven, outlined in our tenants’ handbook.
“Tenants are made aware of arrangements to manage it if it is located but any further questions they may have should be made via our website at www.southkesteven.gov.uk
“Work on the property has been scheduled in the coming weeks in line with the tenants’ availability that does not require the tenant to vacate.”