Home   Sport   Article

BOXING: Coach Fardell hails Grantham club’s show as a great success

Crowd-pleaser Terry Bennett (left) gets stuck in. Photo: Toby Roberts
Crowd-pleaser Terry Bennett (left) gets stuck in. Photo: Toby Roberts

A crowd of more than 500 people turned out for Grantham Boxing Club’s show at The Meres leisure centre on Saturday night.

They enjoyed 18 bouts in all, including East Midlands Junior Championship contests and three fights featuring boxers from the town’s Gas Works Lane club.

Kristupas Gudonis (right) in action. Photo: Toby Roberts
Kristupas Gudonis (right) in action. Photo: Toby Roberts

Club head coach Dean Fardell was pleased with how the show went: “We had a cracking night, a fantastic night of boxing. The lads did us proud.

“It’s a good venue at The Meres and a good team to work with.”

Dean’s only disappointment was that his charge Nathan Wallace was forced to pull out of his Lincs and Notts middleweight belt title defence on the advice of his doctor, after he contracted a viral infection. The bout, against Scunthorpe ABC’s James Richardson, has been rescheduled provisionally for March.

But there was success for the club’s Kristupas Gudonis in only his second bout.

Grantham ABC show at The Meres. Photo: Toby Roberts
Grantham ABC show at The Meres. Photo: Toby Roberts

Facing Zach Burdis (Doncastler Plant ABC), Kristupas put his taller opponent on the back foot from the opening bell and continued to press forward with a few good shots in the second round. By the third round, he knew he was on top but kept pushing to ensure the unanimous decision.

The referee congratulated both fighters on an excellent contest and the club awarded Kristupas the Wilmore Dunleavy Trophy for the best Grantham boxer on the night. Dean said: “I was over the moon with him.”

Brad Brinkman took on Trinity Derbys ABC’s Matthew Ball and picked up a heavy blow from his rangy south paw opponent in the first round.

Brad was not fazed but walked into too many punches in the second round and was given a standing eight count before the referee decided to end the contest.

Dean said he thought he was a bit nervous with the large home crowd: “All in all, he did well. The future’s still bright for him. He’ll come bouncing back.”

The crowd-pleasing bout of the night saw Terry Bennett go toe-to-toe with the big lad from Shepshed ABC, Joe Ducker. Dean said the first round was a bit of a scrap but Terry, in his 15th contest, began to get the measure of his opponent in the second round, getting off some good combinations.

Terry weathered the storm as Ducker continued to look for the big punch, even getting caught with one in the third round, but he fought back with more combos and kept a tight guard to impress the judges.

Dean said: “Terry won by a unanimous decision. He did well to come back.”


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More