CRICKET: Belvoir triumph in final game of season

Have your say

South Notts League

Division A

Clifton 2nd 201-9

Belvoir 202-4

In their final game of the season, Belvoir bowling snuffed out Clifton’s wickets at regular intervals.

Danny Gibson (2-21) had the openers trooping pavilion-wards early on with some tight and aggressive overs.

Ruwan Pitigala (3-62) bowled his 16 overs unchanged and Lewis Dann took his season’s league tally to 25 with the wicket of a gritty Tony Hart. Matt Irvine had the last word when he took rumbustious Luke Gunn’s wicket and two others to finish on 3-60.

In reply, Chas Hubbard (70) and Olly Clayfield (63) put on 132 in 29 overs. Both fell to the guile of Clifton’s Andy Barnett (2-17).

Tom Neville continued the attack, plundering five fours and two sixes in his 41 to take Belvoir to 197-4, leaving Lewis Dann to close out the win with six overs to spare.

South Lincs & Border League

Premier Division

Woodhall Spa 2nd 165

Grantham 168-2

Winning the toss, Grantham decided to bowl.

The opening partnership was broken by Danny Ashley when he trapped T. Dixon LBW. But with the score over 100 for the loss of one wicket, Woodhall looked likely to set an imposing total.

Danny Ashley took the wicket of R. Bee and this set about a batting collapse. Adam Parker took two wickets and first team debutant Harvey Stevens got a well deserved wicket but the stand out bowler was Neel Stevenson who took five.

In reply, Grantham lost the early wicket of Adam Shaw with the score on 11. This brought together Martin Parmley (74) and Stewart Mudie (77no) who set about the Woodhall bowling, scoring runs freely.

The partnership was soon past 100 and the result was only going to go one way. Parmley lost his wicket late on but victory was already assured, confirming that Grantham will finish in the top half of the table with three games remaining.

Grantham & Melton


Division Two

Rothley Park 253-7

Grantham 257-5

Having lost the toss and being asked to field, Grantham’s bowlers adapted well to the small Rothley ground and did well to restrict the home side with just 10 men.

Wickets came in the form of three for both H. Stevens and N. Stevenson, with the final wicket taken by M. Wing. Two catches apiece came from Stevenson, G. Bennett and R. Johnson.

In reply, Grantham’s opener, Stewart Mudie (76) set the platform for the run-chase.

He was well supported by Wing (23) and P. Johnson (37) who was unfortunately bowled off a ball which kept low.

Grantham controlled the run chase well, and were always in front of the required rate.

This was firmly supported by Ashley who batted brilliantly for his 68 not out, and R. Johnson (22). Grantham reached their target with six overs to spare.

Division Three

Croxton Kerrial 136-9

Skillington 87

The home side won the toss and elected to bat.

It was a decision that looked to have backfired as Skillington took two early wickets, dismissing Howitt and Porter in the second over. There then began a period of consolidation and rebuilding as Richardson and Horner built a solid foundation on which the game was eventually won.

They played sensibly where needed and dispatched the bad ball when it came along, and it was not long before they notched up the 50 partnership, taking the score to 65 at drinks. Horner went not long after with the home side now looking to accelerate.

Richardson then went for a well made 35, looking to pinch a quick single and being run out thanks to a direct hit. With a couple of cameos from Marsh, Lucas and Aylin and at the end of the innings, a total of just under 140 looked enough. Skillington bowler Caddy took 6-25.

In reply, the Skillington openers looked to see off Croxton strike bowlers Aylib and Richardson, with nothing happening for the first 20 overs and the score on 35. Richardson finished with 0-7 and Aylin 0-12.

If Skillington thought they could then get stuck into the attack, they did not count upon Lucas and Porter who between them mopped up all the wickets, Lucas with 2-24 and Porter with the league’s best figures this season of 7-20.

Ed Marsh removed Davey to register his first wicket of the season and clinch the match. All 10 wickets were from catches.