Home   Sport   Article

FOOTBALL: Harrowby United give good account of themselves but can’t bounce back from first half goals

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

United Counties League

Premier Division

Eynesbury Rovers 2

Harrowby United 0

Harrowby travelled to inform Eynesbury Rovers and gave a good account of themselves but were unable to reply from two first half strikes by the home side.

However, the win was far from easy as Harrowby went close to scoring several times, especially in the second half when Kyle De Garis, on at half time for Oliver Sutton, made a number of crucial saves.

Eynesbury almost took a 10th minute lead but Tom Coles’s header was cleared off the line and Robert Ducket’s follow up shot was diverted wide at the far post. However, Rovers went ahead in the 22nd minute when Harrowby’s goalkeeper Jonny Hotson failed to clear a James Freshwater corner kick and Matt Bannister poked the ball home from close range.

Eight minutes later, Bassett made progress down the right wing and he rounded the keeper before setting up Freshwater but his shot was cleared off the line. Another goalkeeping error gifted the hosts’ their second goal as he failed to keep out Bassett’s header which was adjudged to have crossed the line by the referee’s assistant.

Another goal line clearance occurred at the other end as Mark Van Berg kept out Scott Webb’s shot.

After the break, Harrowby found their rhythm and De Garis was soon called into action as he saved a Mitch Dennis effort, and Scott Floyd’s follow up shot was cleared off the line. Sam Weatherstone beat Callum Stockwell and shot inches wide of the far post whilst, at the other end, Bannister combined with Tom Coles but his shot narrowly cleared the crossbar.

Harrowby kept creating chances, with Floyd’s shot being hacked behind for a corner by Van Berg and De Garis denying Rob Dunn. A string of corners then ensued for Harrowby but the home side defended well.

On 80 minutes, De Garis again came to the home side’s aid, saving well to his left from a Mitch Dennis shot.

Bassett’s low drive was saved by the feet of Hotson whilst Daril Ngwala shot wide after receiving Bassett’s return pass.

Alex Marsh saw Hotson save his shot whilst in stoppage time with Harrowby throwing everything at Eynesbury. Bannister missed a glorious opportunity hooking Bassett’s low cross over the bar from inside the penalty area.

l Harrowby are next in action when they entertain Yaxley at home on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More