Home   Sport   Article

FOOTBALL: Harrowby United share the spoils at home

Action from Harrowby United and Cogenhoe United's 1-1 draw at home on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts
Action from Harrowby United and Cogenhoe United's 1-1 draw at home on Saturday. Photo: Toby Roberts

United Counties League

Premier Division

Harrowby United 1

Cogenhoe United 1

Harrowby shared the points with their opponents Cogenhoe United in an evenly fought game at the Environcon Stadium on Saturday, although they will probably feel they should have taken maximum points as they had the better of the chances.

Trailing at half time by a single goal, the Arrows rallied in the second period and equalised midway through the half.

Early exchanges were even with both sides neutralising each other, and Harrowby were almost gifted an opener when Phil Cassidy’s mishit goal kick went straight to Simon Bolland but his long range effort never troubled the visitors’ goal.

Kasy Morgan tried his luck on 15 minutes but his low effort was easily gathered by Rhodes in the Harrowby goal.

On 15 minutes, Harrowby were awarded a free kick 25 yards out when Bolland was fouled after good link-up play with Aaron Martin. Joe Clarke tried his luck from the resulting kick but Cassidy was saved well to his left.

Good chances were hard to come by with both defences being well organised. Harrowby, however, worked a chance when Matthew Clarke found space down the right. His cross was met by the head of Liam Jacques who looked certain to open the scoring but he saw his header go inches wide.

The visitors hit Harrowby against the run of play in the 43rd minute. A quick break down the right saw Harry Osbourne find Danny Harman unmarked on the edge of the box. His first time effort took a heavy deflection, giving Rhodes no chance in the Harrowby goal.

The start of the second half mirrored the first with both sides unwilling to give an inch, but it was the visitors who almost doubled their lead when Dean Lukeman beat the offside trap on 50 minutes, but Rhodes at full stretch saved well to his right.

On the hour mark, Harrowby almost equalised when Martin tried his luck, but his shot went inches wide with the keeper beaten.

A period of sustained pressure paid off for Harrowby when Jacques latched on to a Joe Clark cross. And when his header rebounded off the crossbar, Clarke was on hand to head in the equaliser on 69 minutes.

Five minutes later, Harrowby created an opening but Jacques’ effort was direct at the keeper.

As the game drew to a close, Cogenhoe had a great chance to take maximum points when Osbourne shot from eight yards, but Rhodes saved well diving to his right to ensure the Arrows a share of the points.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More