Buckminster in control from beginning to end

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Buckminster United 5

Barkston & Syston 2

BUCKMINSTER tasted bitter-sweet revenge following a Senior KO Cup reverse back in October, and on this occasion the home side were in complete control from start to finish.

A full strength Barkston struggled with the power and pace of the home side and it was no surprise on 20 minutes when a free kick from Paul Chappell was helped on by Colin Howe, for veteran Craig Moore to hammer in from eight yards.

Minutes later it was two for the home side when a 50yd ball from skipper Wayne Martini found Chappell in space on the right, where he beat his man and then the keeper with a first time effort. Just before half time, a flowing move culminated in younster Jack Berry beating the offside trap to nonchalantly lob the keeper and send Buckminster in at the break with a comfortable lead.

The second half started at a slow pace which allowed Barkston back into the game, and a lapse in the home defence allowed the unmarked Matt Pearson to finish from close range. Barkston with their tails up were fortunate with their second, but again slack marking allowed Munton to cross for Ward to tap into an empty net.

Buckminster took the remainder of the game by the scruff of the neck, and when Chappell found space on the right to out-pace his marker Stubbs and cross into the box, Berry was on hand to slide in his second of the game.

Craig and younger brother Danny Moore should have done better with close range efforts before substitute Craig Fyfe found Chappell on the edge of the area, whose first time volley powered into the bottom corner to give Buckminster a well deserved three points.

Buckminster man of the match was Simon Hollingworth

Buckminster: Allen, Flitton, Martini, Hollingworth, Chambers, Cummings, Howe, Moore, Jaques, Chappell, Berry. Subs: Moore, Fyfe.

Grantham Hospital Charity Cup

Second round

Beehive United 4

Skillington 2

FIRST Division Skillington pushed Premier side Beehive all the way, with the wind playing a huge part in the game.

Beehive started slowly with Skillington winning many tackles in midfield and looking dangerous on the break, and the visitors deservedly took the lead with a swift counter-attack and their centre forward finished stylishly past the stranded Drury.

Stung into action, Beehive’s impressive Harper started causing problems and equalised with a fine finish past Owen. The game then turned in United’s favour and Turner put them in front from the spot after a hand ball.

Skillington dug in again and a harmless looking free kick deceived Drury and ended up in the net.

With the wind at their backs in the second half, Beehive started to dominate with plenty of chances going begging until Richard Payne slammed home to restore their lead.

A deflated Skillington struggled to form any attacking play and Payne pounced to score Beehive’s fourth and seal the win.

Beehive man of the match was Liam Harper.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Colsterworth United 8

Nobody Inn Brant Broughton 1

NOBODY Inn started at apace and took a first minute lead but Colsterworth quickly responded through Leonard’s composed strike.

United then dominated the half and went in leading thanks to a Maclean penalty.

After Colsterworth keeper Tank acrobatically tipped a Brant Broughton penalty on to the bar, one-way traffic ensued with some neat attacking play. Walton scored a brace with a powerful shot and close-range goal.

Redley and Glenncross each made no mistake in the 6yd box and captain Taylor scored with a low drive. Leonard got his second with a sublime 35yd piledriver.

Colsterworth man of the match was James Ballaam who dominated the midfield area throughout.

Colsterworth: Tank, Walton, Leonard, Horton, O’Brien, Taylor, Spratley, Glencross, Ballaam, Maclean, Redley. Subs: Sharpe, Fudge.

Railway Club 1

Long Bennington 0

RAILWAY took the early advantage in windy conditions and a determined display moved them up to second in the league.

A determined run from Tyler down the left hand side ended with an exceptional pass into the path of Marshall who took the chance clinically to put Railway one up.

The game was then very open with Dodwell making an excellent save from the Long Bennington forward before Wyles was denied on several occasions by the visitors’ keeper.

Railway played with the wind in the second half and again had chances to score more goals, Aust striking a thundering 35yd strike which would have been a shoe-in for goal of the season, only to see it crash against the post and bounce into the hands of the lucky Bennington goalkeeper.

The rest of the game passed with little trouble for the Railway and they were very unlucky not to be awarded a penalty midway through the half after another troublesome run through the heart of the Bennington defence by man of the match Wyles. He was clipped by the keeper but it was not seen by the referee.

Adamson came on midway through the half for Clement-Sutcliffe and found himself one on one with the keeper only for the Bennington stopper to guess right and make another good save.

Time ticked away and the Railway failed to score anymore but have now kept up the pressure on league leaders by moving into second place in the league with another determined display.

Railway: Dodwell, Clement-Sutcliffe, Redford, Withers, Atter, Daykin, Weatherstone, Aust (c), Wyles, Marshall, Tyler. Subs: Adamson, Atter, Marshall, Parker, Blanchard.