Five-star Grantham thrash Quorn

Have your say

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Division One South

Quorn 0

Grantham Town 5

THE Gingerbreads recorded their first win of the league season with a thumping 5-0 victory away to Quorn.

After being the better side for long periods of their previous matches without getting their rewards, things dropped into place at Quorn. Three goals before half-time put Grantham firmly in the driving seat.

The two sides exchanged chances in the opening few minutes before Ben Saunders found Sam Purcicoe who hit a pass from the half-way line for Gio Carchedi. Poor control from Carchedi saw the chance slip away.

Far post crosses caused some problems for both defences. Lee Potts’ delivery forced Sam Leggett to concede a corner, while at the other end from a corner, Kris Mathews headed across goal and wide.

On 21 minutes, Grantham were in front. Potts delivered a perfect free kick for Phil Watt to lose his man and glide his header past Matt Nurse.

From then on, it was almost all Grantham.

Tris Whitman went close to adding a second Grantham goal, hooking a shot just wide.

Some good fortune on the end of some good work brought Grantham their second goal. Carchedi initially won the ball for Ben Saunders who in turn fed Purcicoe. His low cross into the six yard box caused panic in the Quorn defence and Ian Robinson turned the ball into his own net.

Three minutes later, Ben Saunders got his first goal of the season. Potts took the ball past his defender and delivered a good cross again.

Carchedi almost got on the end of it, but arriving at the far post, Saunders made no mistake.

In the second half the Gingerbreads continued to control the game. Carchedi, Potts and Whitman all went close to extending the Gingerbreads lead.

A combination of good defending and good saves from Matt Nurse prevented Grantham from adding to their lead for a long time.

It took almost 30 minutes of the second half before Grantham got the fourth goal they deserved. Ben Saunders turned his defender inside the penalty area and went on to crash the ball past Matt Nurse. Saunders left Mathews on the ground and he eventually needed to go off which saw the home side reduced to ten men.

Five minutes later, Grantham took advantage and added a fifth goal.

Alistair Asher drove a pass cross field for Potts who beat Kalern Thomas to leave himself with just the Quorn goalkeeper to beat. Nurse once again found himself picking the ball out of his net.

The Gingerbreads almost added a sixth in the last minute. Purcicoe fed Matt Glass on the right and he picked out Rob Norris in the centre. Norris got there first, but hit his volley over the bar.

Grantham’s man-of-the-match was centre-half Grant Brindley who was dominant in the air throughout.

Grantham Town: Murray, Purcicoe, Potts, Brindley (Asher, 69), Saunders, Watt, Lewis, Ball, Whitman (Norris, 76), B. Saunders, Carchedi (Glass, 76). Subs not used: McGhee, O’Rafferty.