FOOTBALL: Beehive United triumph over spirited Bottesford youngsters

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Beehive United 8

Bottesford 1

A COMFORTABLE win for the Beehive, against a young but very spirited Bottesford side, saw United dominate from the start.

The game was virtually over after half an hour, with Beehive going 6-0 up.

Walker and Hill pulled the strings in midfield and United went in front when Stinson rounded the keeper. Harper’s cross flew in to double the lead.

Injured Turner was replaced by Towle who duly obliged, netting the first of his hat trick after a six month lay-off due to his own injury.

With Harper’s trickery and pace causing problems, he rounded the keeper and slotted home. Reidy scored his first of two before failing to convert a penalty, the Bottesford keeper pulling off a fine save.

With changes made early in the second half, Beehive became sloppy and the ever-willing Bottesford man-of-the-match Corkett pulled a goal back.

Bottesford enjoyed a good spell and had a couple more chances before Beehive once again upped the pace. United man of the match completed his hat trick to seal victory.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Nobody Inn Brant Broughton 0

Ropsley 5

ROPSLEY’S outstanding start to the year continued with a comprehensive victory over Nobody Inn.

The game was played in Harlaxton on a boggy pitch with standing water in both goalmouths.

Unbeaten in the league so far in 2011, Ropsley took a two goal lead into the break despite the first half being a fairly even affair.

Centre midfielder Lee Maples opened the scoring midway through the half, prodding home from 10 yards after Nobody Inn failed to clear. Centre forward Rich Healey then scored the first of his three goals from close range. Minutes later he was unlucky to have a second ruled out for offside after volleying home a back-post cross.

Nobody Inn had chances of their own before the break but time and again failed to hit the target with a clear sight of goal. Meanwhile, Ropsley were grateful for goal-saving tackles from Glenn O’Meara and Lee Maples.

Ropsley dominated the second half. Healey grabbed his second, cutting inside from the right and finding the top corner with his left boot, before completing his hat trick minutes later. Healey has scored 23 times since Christmas after failing to find the net in the first half of the season.

O’Meara, fresh from his first goal in four years the previous week, thought he’d scored an unlikely second of the season late in the game. Pushing forward from left-back, O’Meara cut inside and delicately lobbed the keeper. Celebrations were cut short when the referee spotted a foul by Tom Hill as the ball crossed the line.

Substitute Will Price scored the fifth and final goal with a fine strike from outside the box which found the bottom corner.

Man of the match was centre-back Mark O’Connor.