FOOTBALL: Buckminster complete double over Greyhounders

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Buckminster United 2

Greyhounders 0

BUCKMINSTER completed the league double over Greyhounders with a hard fought victory, to keep second place in the league for the time being, .

Greyhounders are always a tough nut to crack but on this occasion it was the home side that started the stronger, and with youngster Lewis Kettle pulling all the strings in midfield it was no surprise when Buckminster took a deserved lead on the half hour. An unlikely looking ball into the box was nodded on by Danny Moore and found the lively Zak Lehair who confidently slotted in from close range.

Buckminster should have doubled their lead on a couple of occasions, Darren Parker beating the full back and his low cross causing havoc in the visitors box before frantically being cleared. Danny Moore also had a great effort well saved by the visiting keeper.

The second period was a great display of attacking football from both sides, with Darren Parker, Danny Moore, Zak Lehair and Lewis Kettle all having efforts well stopped by the Greyhounders defence and keeper.

The visitors’ Jamie Archer had one effort well saved by Harry Nicholls before a dubious penalty was awarded, and again man-of-the-match Nicholls made a superb double save from Archer to keep Buckminster in front.

There were towering performances from Rich Greenfield and in particular young Tom Figura at the heart of the Buckminster defence, to help keep the visitors at bay for the remainder of the game.

With time running out another flowing move from the right culminated in a cross from Danny Moore which was this time nodded on by Lehair for unmarked veteran Colin Howe to fire into the roof of the net at the back post, giving United a deserved three points.

Buckminster: Nicholls, Miller, Stubbs, Kettle, Greenfield, Figura, C. Moore, Payne, Parker, D. Moore, Lehair. Subs: Howe, Chappell, Footitt.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Charity Shield, second round

Ropsley Fox 6

Ancaster Rams 1

FOXES’ winning run continued and they put Ancaster under pressure from the off, but good defending from Rams limited Ropsley to half-chances.

Ancaster started to get a foothold in the game before Ropsley top scorer Barry Payne, returning from injury, scored a superb opener. He picked the ball up from Joe Clarke inside the Ancaster half and glided through the Ancaster midfield, before unleashing a 25yd hammer blow to put the Foxes 1-0 up at half time.

The second half saw Ropsley Fox assert their authority. An Andy Glencross through-ball found Liam Harper who smashed home Ropsley’s second. This was followed by a long throw from Joe Clarke which was flicked on by Billy Stubbs for Jay Harrison to put Foxes three up.

Harrison turned provider, finding space on the right to tee up Barry Payne for a simple tap-in.

Ancaster continued to fight and were rewarded with a consolation via a goalmouth scramble, Ricky david prodding home for the visitors.

Ropsley though quickly cancelled out the Rams’ effort. A mazy run from Steve Bradley was halted by a rash challenge from Davies. Clarke stepped up to finish a cool free kick into the bottom corner.

Clarke then found Payne from a long throw and the latter finished from close range to complete his hat trick.

Man of the match was Nick Hardy.