FOOTBALL: Carr motors to hat trick in Ropsley revenge victory

Have your say

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Thurlby United 1

Ropsley 3

ROPSLEY gained a modicum of revenge for their cup defeat the previous week with a 3-1 victory away to Thurlby in the league.

Thurlby knocked Ropsley out of the cup the Sunday before, winning 4-2 to book their place in the final.

The home side began where they had left off in the cup and quickly took the lead inside 10 minutes. A long throw from the left was not cleared by the Ropsley defence and the ball was swept home from close range.

Thurlby enjoyed the better of the first half, putting on the pressure with a series of corners which Ropsley defended well. Close to the break, Thurlby’s centre-forward was put through one-on-one but saw his shot saved.

The match was turned on its head with the introduction of Chris Carr at half-time.

Playing downhill and with the breeze at their backs, Ropsley dominated the second half and equalised on the hour mark. A good move down the left saw the ball pulled back for Carr who smashed in off the post.

Ropsley kept the pressure on and soon went two ahead when Carr took control of a ball on the edge of the Thurlby box and curled into the far corner.

Thurlby pushed for an equaliser and appeared to have fashioned another one-on-one only to be denied by a last-ditch tackle from the excellent Glenn O’Meara.

Carr grabbed a memorable hat trick in the dying moments with a free kick from 20 yards which he chipped over the wall and into the top corner.

Ropsley’s man of the match was goalkeeper Neil Graham.

Bourne United 2

Railway Club 10

RAILWAY broke the deadlock when a corner from Weatherstone went past everyone in the box and found Aust at the back post, who then crossed the ball back in for an unmarked Wyles to head into the top corner.

Bourne did not give up and kept piling on pressure which resulted in an equaliser when a mix-up between Atter and his defence lead to the United right winger collecting the ball in the box and slotting home.

Railway regained the lead to start an amazing spell for the visitors. Captain Aust found himself free in the box to volley home the ball into the net. Lee Marshall then put Railway well and truly in control with another goal, taking his tally to 25 for the season. Railway went 4-1 up courtesy of a soft own goal.

Railway’s fifth goal was something to treasure when man-of-the-match Aust picked up the ball from just inside the halfway line and unleashed a sensational thunderbolt into the back of the net from 40 yards for his 16th of the season. Railway rounded off a frantic last 25 minutes when Redford’s shot was parried by the keeper right into the path of Wyles for his second goal of the game.

Railway again piled the pressure on in the second half again and got another goal thanks to an exceptional ball from Withers that went into the path of Weatherstone who slotted home. Withers then got a chance to get a goal on his 18th birthday when the referee gave a penalty to Railway for hand ball. Normal penalty taker Aust gave Withers the ball and he stepped up to nervously slot the ball home for his second goal of the season.

More good play from Railway led to yet another goal. Weatherstone whipped in a demon corner right under the bar for Andy Marshall to head home.

Railway hit double figures when another piercing pass from Withers went to Lee Marshall who took a touch and flicked the ball exceptionally over the keeper. Bourne then scored one more consolation goal.