FOOTBALL: Grantham & District Saturday and Sunday League match reports

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Barkston & Syston 4

RHP Newark 3

THIS was a must win game for Barkston if they were to stand any chance of avoiding relegation, and they got off to a great start when Wilson’s cross found Munton who coolly placed a shot in the top corner.

RHP replied quickly and could have taken the lead but for a top class save from stand-in keeper Clements. Nevertheless, Barkston went into half time 3-1 down.

Barkston played some neat football in the second half and pulled a goal back through Stubbs. The home side piled on the pressure and levelled when Martin Pearson slotted past the keeper.

With 10 minutes remaining, Stubbs picked up the ball, turned and hit a rasping 40yd drive over the Newark keeper to secure all three points for Barkston.

Barkston: Clements, Masters, Dalton, O’Connor, Wilson, Stubbs, Pidd, Smart, Martin Pearson, Matt Pearson, Munton, Wing, Russell, Smith, Kettle.

Grantham Squash Club 1

Beehive United 10

A COMFORTABLE afternoon for the Beehive saw Stinson get the ball rolling, tapping home a Reidy pass.

Reidy scored the first of his five goals after a mistake by Squash Club keeper Leeson. The match was over as a contest by half time following a good Towle finish, and Reidy glanced in a header from the impressive Harper.

It was more of the same in the second half, with Squash’s defence working overtime to contain the United attacks. Mayes and man of the match Sam Hill dominated the centre of the park and made it a comfortable game for the Beehive defence.

Reidy’s fifth goal was a powerful volley past the keeper. Harper, Asher and the outstanding Hill took Beehive to double figures before the only lapse by the United defence allowed Tim Clayton to tap home a consolation goal for Squash.

Squash Club man of the match was Sheen.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Ropsley 2

Chesters 1

ROPSLEY returned to winning ways with a hard-fought victory made memorable thanks to a spectacular opening goal by midfielder Chris Carr.

Missing some key players, Ropsley were put under pressure early on and Chesters were unlucky not to score on two occasions, both from close range headers. The first was tipped around the post by goalkeeper Neil Graham and the second was nodded well wide of the target.

Playing with the breeze to their backs, Ropsley began to get into the game but the opening goal came from nowhere. A bouncing ball just inside Ropsley’s own half was smashed hard and high on the half-volley towards the Chesters goal. The strike caught everyone by surprise, not least the Chesters keeper who could only watch as it flew over his head and into the back of the net.

The first goal may have had an element of good fortune but the second was an excellent team effort. Man-of-the-match Lewis Watson danced down the left, beating more than one defender before putting in a perfect cross which was headed home from close range by Will Price.

Midway through the second half, Chesters pulled one back with a smartly taken goal from their left-winger. Both sides had chances late on, with Chesters hitting the woodwork towards the end, but Ropsley held out to take all three points.