FOOTBALL: Howe’s that? United win with last gasp header

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

RHP Newark 2

Buckminster United 3

BUCKMINSTER consolidated second place in the league for another week with a last gasp win over young rivals RHP Newark.

Both teams started at apace, but it was the young legs of RHP that looked the more dangerous early on. Buckminster found their feet and Jack Berry hit the post on the quarter hour, having angled his shot across the keeper.

With both teams having varying periods of possession, it was the home side who went in front when a corner kick evaded the visiting defence for the number 10 to head in from close range.

In the second period, and with the introduction of substitute Danny Moore, Buckminster were definitely the better of the two sides. However, against the run of play the home side left back thundered a left foot free kick into the top corner from 25 yards.

This spurred United into life and, with Young and Wilson now looking interested, a great effort from Young fizzed across the goal line. Jack Berry made amends for hitting the post with a fine left foot finish with 20 minutes remaining.

The introduction of Darren Parker and Paul Chappell immediately paid dividends when man of the match Danny Moore found space in the midfield to find Chappell, whose first time effort from 15 yards gave the home keeper no chance.

In a frantic final few minutes, Buckminster ploughed forward looking for the winner, and with only a minute remaining they were rewarded for their cavalier style, when a Chappell free kick found Colin Howe who headed home from close range.

Buckminster: Allen, Flitton, Martini, S. Hollingworth, Chambers, Cummings, Howe, Wilson, Young, Berry, C. Moore. Subs: Parker, D. Moore, Chappell.

Beehive United 7

Grantham Squash Club 1

A ROUTINE win for the Beehive, without hitting the heady heights of recent weeks, saw Dan Reidy head them in front.

Squash Club’s heads appeared to drop, but from a Clayton free kick, Williamson struck the crossbar with Johnson stranded.

Walker was then brought down in the 18yd box and Reidy coolly stepped up and slotted the penalty.

Stinson made it three and the game looked to be all but over.

The second half was sloppy by Beehive’s standards, but Stinson soon struck from 20 yards, his shot flying into the top corner.

To Squash Club’s credit, they did have a go and three or three chances to reduce the deficit. And following a cross that wasn’t cleared, the ever-willing Williamson lobbed the ball over Johnson to pull a goal back.

United remained settled, with Asher and Towle both scoring from close range.

Reidy rounded off the scoring with a driving header from a Turner cross, sealing a comfortable victory.

Beehive man of the match was Sam Hill and Squash Club’s was Graeme Williamson.