Goals either side of the break are the undoing of Grantham Town

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Ashton United 2

Grantham Town 0

Grantham Town’s hopes of improving on the goalless draw in the two sides’ first meeting of the season at The Meres were dashed by goals either side of half time in the return game at Hurst Cross.

The home side should have gone in front in the 34th minute after Liam Kay brought down Dale Johnson in the 18-yard box. Referee Mr Woods pointed to the spot but Gary Gee’s poorly struck penalty presented Town keeper Jake Turner with an easy save.

Both sides had opportunities to take the lead, with Kevin Leadbetter blazing over from a Martin Pilkington ball for the home side, and Danny Meadows doing the same from a free kick for the Gingerbreads at the other end shortly after.

United’s Johnson had a shot deflected over and Sam Wilson headed wide from the resulting corner kick.

Grantham finally conceded on the stroke of half time when Wilson tapped in past Turner from a Leadbetter corner kick.

Town found themselves under the cosh immediately after the break, with Ashley Young and Kayde Coppin both having opportunities to extend the Robins’ advantage.

The home side doubled their lead in the 51st minute with Pilkington heading in from a Johnson cross.

Grantham keeper Turner saved another Pilkington effort minutes later, but his team-mates did not offer much up front to threaten the Ashton defence.

Turner was brought into action again to deny Coppin in the 77th minute, and the United number 11 had another good opportunity to seal the game minutes later, but he curled the ball wide of the target.

Grantham Town: Turner, Purcicoe, Rawden (Fyfe, 80), Kay, Hellewell, Miveld, Meadows, Lewis (Johnson, 15), Read, Hurst (Bilyk, 76), Emmott. Subs not used: Wholey, Divver. Att: 143.