Grantham Town battle out share of points in goalless stalemate with Witton Albion

Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Grantham Town 0

Witton Albion 0

Grantham Town battled out a goalless draw at The Meres with a much improved second half performance after they found themselves under the cosh early on.

Witton’s Jonathan Breeze had a shot in the opening seconds and he volleyed over in the fifth minute as Grantham were kept on the back foot.

Adam Parkhouse hit the Grantham post a minute later and Daniel Andrews missed a sitter with just Town keeper Dan Haystead to beat on nine minutes.

The Gingerbreads started to display some composure after a quarter of an hour or so. Ashley Burbeary had a go from distance and Ben Fairclough shot wide through a gaggle of legs on 32 minutes.

Burbeary’s 36th minute free kick from half-way was on target and would only of needed the slightest of touches to have beaten Albion keeper Matthew Cooper.

Grantham stepped on the gas after the break with Romaine Graham, Jamie Jackson and Lee Ridley all denied in the opening minutes.

Town hit the post in the 51st minute and Burbeary and Emeka Nwadike were both foiled by Cooper minutes later.

Home keeper Haystead did well throughout to keep a clean sheet, pulling off some great reaction saves to earn himself the match sponsor’s man-of-the-match award.

Witton substitute Joshua Hancock forced one such save with his first touch of the game and continued to be troublesome till the final whistle.

Michael Powell missed a 70th minute sitter for the visitors and, at the other end, Cooper was forced into a couple of good saves to deny the Gingerbreads.

Witton hit the woodwork on 83 minutes and Grantham substitute Jamie McGhee had the best chance of the game seconds later, but with virtually the whole goal to aim at, fired straight at Cooper.

Haystead blocked Parkhouse’s effort with his feet a minute later and, with both sides desperately searching for the winner in the closing minutes, the Grantham stopper pulled off another excellent reaction save to Powell’s injury time strike.

Grantham Town: Haystead, Reynolds, Ridley, Miller, Lister, Towey, Burbeary, Nwadike (c), Graham (Hawes, 67), Jackson, Fairclough (McGhee, 62). Subs not used: Lewis, King, Sucharewycz.

Att: 189