Grantham Town concede in dying minutes against Buxton

Romaine Graham (centre) comes under pressure from the Buxton defence, with Grantham team-mate Michael Towey in support. Photo: 801D
Romaine Graham (centre) comes under pressure from the Buxton defence, with Grantham team-mate Michael Towey in support. Photo: 801D
Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Grantham Town 0

Buxton 1

Grantham Town lost their first game in six against at The Meres on Tuesday night.

Following a frenetic end-to-end start, the Gingerbreads enjoyed the better of the goal scoring opportunities, although they did look vulnerable to Buxton counter-attacks.

Jamie McGhee squandered a fair few free kicks and corner kicks and had his 27th minute shot deflected on to the post and out by a Buxton defender. Greg Smith just glanced a header over the bar from the resulting McGhee flag kick.

A Buxton counter attack a minute later saw Leon Osbourne through into space with only keeper Dan Haystead to beat, but he somehow fired wide of a large target.

Michael Towey looked unstoppable when he held on to the ball, running in on the Buxton goal and unleashing a shot that went just wide.

The final move of the first half saw Buxton go close when Matt Thornhill laid off a good ball to Grant Black down the right flank. Black whipped in a cross into the danger area but Haystead gathered safely.

Town conceded a couple of free kicks early in the second period. Black fired the first one low into Grantham’s two-man wall and Lee Morris’s 54th minute effort brought the save of the match from Haystead.

The Gingerbreads had further half-chances with putting another free kick over the bar, Towey heading over and McGhee having another shot deflected off target.

And McGhee produced the move of the match in the 71st minute with a darting run from his own half. He evaded tackle after tackle as he proceeded down the right wing, cutting in front of the penalty area and unleashing his shot. Keeper Andy Warrington parried only as far as the advancing Massiah McDonald, but his reaction strike to the rebound flew wide of the near post.

The Gingerbreads went down to 10 men with seven minutes remaining when McDonald received a questionable straight red card from referee Mr Richardson for a high challenge.

A share of the points still looked to be on the cards as Grantham miraculously managed to clear following a flurry of close-range shots in an 87th minute goalmouth melee.

But one minute later, the home side conceded when their defence opened up perfectly allow Steve Istead to curl in a lovely finish from the edge of the 18-yard box and steal the win.

Grantham Town: Haystead, Purcicoe, Ridley (Meikle, 60), Miller, Lister, Lewis, Towey, Nwadike, G. Smith (King, 86), Graham (McDonald, 65), McGhee. Subs not used: K. Smith, Sucharewycz. Att 136.