Grantham Town embarrass league leaders Barwell

Substitute Jamie McGhee scored twice against Barwell.
Substitute Jamie McGhee scored twice against Barwell.
Have your say

GRANTHAM Town recorded their second successive 5-2 victory with a sensational trouncing of runaway league leaders Barwell.

Evo-Stik League

Division One South

Grantham Town 5

Barwell 2

The Gingerbreads were two goals to the good before a quarter of hour’s play. Barwell were back on level terms by early in the second half, but Town turned up the wick and the Leicestershire side suffered only their second league defeat of the season.

High winds affected the game throughout but Grantham coped the better, having the advantage of the tail wind after the break, when Barwell legs began to tire against the gusty conditions.

Town had an early scare when Sam Saunders’ overly short pass was picked up by a Barwell player, but an offside flag came to Grantham’s rescue.The Gingerbreads went in front in the ninth minute courtesy of Gio Carchedi. Sam Saunders set him up and Carchedi placed the ball past Barwell keeper Ashley Malhotra.

In a dream start for Grantham, they doubled their lead four minutes later. Carchedi’s corner kick held up in the wind perfectly for Phil Watt to head past a flailing Malhotra.

Barwell’s first real threat on the Grantham goal came in the 23rd minute when Craig Dutton got a shot in from the edge of the box, but fired wide. The Leicestershire side enjoyed a brief period of pressure before Town upped the pressure once more.

Carchedi volleyed in just after the half hour mark but the ball was ruled to have been out of play before the cross was put into the penalty area.

Town’s lead was halved just before the break when Adam Wykes’ free kick from the corner of the area beat the Grantham defence and keeper Rob Murray.

The Gingerbreads resumed the onslaught in the second half and had early chances through Lee Potts, who fired just over from 30 yards, and Carchedi whose quick turn and shot went straight to Malhotra. Matt Millns’ 51st minute header was parried by the Barwell keeper to keep his side in the game.

And Barwell repaid him by levelling the game two minutes later when Dutton fired in low and hard into the bottom corner.

Malhotra did well to get a hand to Millns’ cross-cum-shot in the 57th minute, denying Ben Saunders who waiting to pounce. But a minute later, the Gingerbreads were back in front. Ben Saunders’ relatively inocuous ball into the box took a deflection off Matt Glass and crossed the goal line.

Potts and Glass put shots over the Barwell crossbar as Grantham sought to bury the game, cheered on by an animated Meres home support.

Town subsitute Jamie McGhee made his presence known immediately, evading the Barwell defence before shooting over the bar in the 76th minute. McGhee was just beaten to Potts’ cross by Malhotra three minutes later. McGhee finally extended Grantham’s lead when he volleyed in from Glass’s cross with five minutes remaining.

McGhee fired another shot over the bar with two minutes left and then completed the rout on the 90th minute when he finished from Watt’s ball into the box.

Grantham Town: Murray, Lewis, Potts, Asher, Sucharewycz, Millns, Watt, S. Saunders, Glass, B. Saunders, Carchedi (McGhee, 73). Subs not used: Kirton, Hargreaves, O’Rafferty, Hallcro. Att: 153.