Grantham Town enjoy dominant victory over play-off hopefuls Rushall Olympic

Paul Grimes (left) fires in Grantham Town's opening goal past outstretched Chris Gemmell.
Paul Grimes (left) fires in Grantham Town's opening goal past outstretched Chris Gemmell.
Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Grantham Town 3

Rushall Olympic 0

Grantham Town enjoyed an emphatic win over their seventh-placed opposition, with all three goals coming in the second half.

It was a lively confrontation throughout, only punctuated by referee Mr Plowright’s sometimes over-zealous use of the whistle.

Rushall danger man Ahmed Obeng set up the first chance of the game in the eighth minute, but Stan Mugisha could not quite get a touch to his cross. A minute later at the other end, Jordan Hempenstall attempted to lob the keeper from distance but his effort went over the bar.

A Paul Grimes glancing header forced a save from Rushall keeper Chris Gemmell in the 15th minute, and Grantham had another good chance to go in front when Michael Towey caught Jack McGovern’s 26th minute free kick on the half-volley, but it went straight into Gemmell’s arms.

Gemmell had to dive to tip another Towey shot wide six minutes later after good work by Grimes. Lee Potts’s subsequent corner kick was met by an Adie Hawes header but cleared off the line.

Gingerbreads keeper Dan Haystead had to be alert a minute later, pouncing on the back to deny the advancing Obeng. Haystead was there again to thwart Obeng in the 43rd minute who was trying to connect with a Jamie Spencer cross-cum-shot.

The Gingerbreads continued to pressure the visitors after the break and went in front three minutes into the second half when Paul Grimes broke away, rounded Gemmell and fired into the back of the net.

A James Dance drive forced a good save from Haystead a minute later but play swung back to the other end again where Rhys Lewis went close to doubling Grantham’s lead.

Hardly giving the visitors time to regroup, Town did double their advantage on 53 minutes with a fine individual effort from Jordan Hempenstall who stroked the ball into the net with aplomb.

The Gingerbreads were unable to relax and sit back on their lead as Rushall were shocked into playing with more urgency as they sought to redress the balance.

Grantham effectively ended the game as a competition when Grimes bagged his second in the 72nd minute.

Gemmell blocked his initial effort but the Grantham number nine followed up with a header to the rapturous cheers and applause from the majority of the crowd.

Number seven McGovern had the chance to increase Town’s advantage in the 81st minute but blasted over and his opposite number Carl Palmer did the same at the other end, but Grantham kept a clean sheet to register one of the most pleasing wins of the season

Grantham Town: Haystead, Purcicoe, Jacklin, Meikle (Hawes, 17), Lister (c), Lewis, McGovern, Towey (Walker, 45), Grimes, Hempenstall (Motson, 90), Potts. Subs not used: King, Ridley. Att: 202.