Grantham Town exact revenge with ease at Market Drayton

Have your say

Evo-Stik League

Division One South

Market Drayton Town 0

Grantham Town 3

GRANTHAM ensured Market Drayton Town would not complete an unexpected double over the Gingerbreads with a comfortable win in Shropshire. The Gingerbreads were too strong all round for one of the division’s struggleRs as they powered their way to victory.

Grantham got off to a good start and gave the home side a scare in the third minute. Sam Saunders delivered a teasing cross which was just too high for the on-rushing Sam Purcicoe. The home side then reminded Grantham not to take them too lightly as Martyn Davies took the ball past Purcicoe and delivered a cross that Rob Murray in the Grantham goal had to turn away at full stretch.

With a quarter of an hour gone, Grantham went close to taking the lead. From a corner, Matt Millns headed the ball back across the penalty area for Gio Carchedi. His volley brought a good save from Market Drayton’s Andy Spooner.

Spooner was beaten seven minutes later. Grantham worked the ball around well before Ben Saunders played it wide to Lee Potts. Potts drove a low cross into the Market Drayton 6yd box where Purcicoe turned it into an open goal.

Grantham held their opponents at bay with ease and added to their lead on 31 minutes. Purcicoe hit a long pass to Ben Saunders who was strong enough to hold the ball and lay it off square for Jamie McGhee. McGhee gave Spooner no chance with a low drive into the bottom corner of the net.

Spooner was kept busy as Grantham were firmly in control of the game. Three times he had to clear through balls-that were just too long for Gio Carchedi or McGhee. The Gingerbreads did relax just before half time and almost paid the penalty when Tom Rogers’ free kick was met by Tom Ward. His header crashed against the Gingerbreads crossbar.

Stung by the Market Drayton chance, Grantham came back and twice went close to adding to their lead before half time. First Potts delivered another good cross for Purcicoe, but this time Spooner denied him with a sharp save. From the corner, Ben Saunders got in a good header, but saw his effort desperately hacked away by the home defence.

The Gingerbreads should have added to their lead twice in a couple of minutes shortly after the break. On 56 minutes, Asher’s free kick was headed on by Phil Watt. Somehow Market Drayton cleared the ball off the line with Ben Saunders claiming the ball had crossed the line. Two minutes later, a cheeky back-heel from Saunders, after good play from Asher and Carchedi, hit the post and flew across the Market Drayton goal line, inches away from a lunge by Potts.

Ben Saunders had another effort turned over the crossbar by Spooner as the Market Drayton defence worked hard to keep the score down. They had no answer, however, on 79 minutes. Watt played a clever through-ball for Rhys Lewis. He was tackled on the edge of the home penalty area, but the ball fell nicely for Carchedi to slot into the corner of the net past Spooner.

It could have been more for the Gingerbreads as there was still time for Ben Saunders and Matt Glass to force good saves from the home goalkeeper as Grantham kept Market Drayton’s forwards at arms length at the other end.

Grantham Town: Murray, Purcicoe, Potts (Kirk, 83), Asher, Millns (Sucharewycz, 80), Watt, Lewis, S. Saunders, McGhee, B. Saunders, Carchedi (Glass, 83). Subs not used: Glarvey, Dyson.

Att: 116