Grantham Town lose in penultimate friendly

Have your say


Deeping Rangers 3

Grantham Town 0

THE Gingerbreads made a number of changes and started brightly with Gio Carchedi having an early effort from 20 yards out go flying just over the crossbar.

It didn’t take Deeping long to settle and they forced a moment of panic in the Grantham defence after 16 minutes. Tony Battersby hit a low shot that Rob Murray comfortably held.

At times Grantham passed the ball well and a good move a couple of minutes later involving Sam Saunders, Grant Brindley, Tom Maddison and Carchedi left Paul Grimes playing a clever ball for Saunders. His shot rolled just wide of the Deeping goal.

Brindley was involved in keeping the scores level a few minutes later. Murray came to the edge of his penalty area to try and punch a free kick clear. He was beaten to the ball by Matt Heron and Brindley had to chase back to clear the ball off the line.

Deeping pushed Grantham back as the Gingerbreads struggled to link up with their front two. Matt Glass joined Brindley in clearing off his own line when David Burton-Jones got on the end of a Deeping corner.

Josh Moreman also went close for the home side late in the first half before Grantham put in a strong finish. Maddison worked space to cross for Sam Purcicoe and only an intervention from Ken Gilbert denied him a shooting chance. Purcicoe was unlucky again five minutes from half time when Grimes chased down a back pass to James Doughty and laid the ball back to the Gingerbreads wing-back. Purcicoe’s first effort hit the crossbar and his second was cleared off the Deeping line.

A rapid start from the home side saw them put Grantham on the back foot and it took 10 minutes of the second period for them to take the lead. Grantham gave the ball away on the halfway line and Deeping took advantage.

A through ball for Moreman saw him take on Murray. The Grantham goalkeeper saved well, but Brindley was robbed by Heron who played the ball back to Moreman who made no mistake this time.

Although Glass tried to get Grantham back on level terms with a determined run at the Deeping defence, his shot didn’t trouble Doughty. Deeping doubled their lead on 65 minutes when Kris Jones was allowed too much space at the far post and he headed his side into a two goal lead.

As both sides made substitutions and changed formations, gaps opened up in the Grantham defence which were exposed 20 minutes from time. Although Ryan Birtles looked offside when he ran on to a through ball, the flag stayed down and he beat Murray to extend Deeping’s lead.

Glass and Grimes both had shots dealt with by Doughty as Grantham struggled to break down a determined Deeping defence. The closest either side went to scoring late on came 10 minutes from time when Adam Buttery made another timed run behind the Grantham defence and Murray just got a heel on his shot to concede a corner.

Grantham Town: Murray, Purcicoe (Norris, 84), Dyson, Asher, Brindley (Lewis, 62), Sucharewycz (Pole, 78), Maddison, S. Saunders, Grimes, Carchedi (Briers, 70), Glass.