Grantham Town put four past Mansfield in latest friendly

Paul Grimes
Paul Grimes
Have your say


Grantham Town 4

Mansfield Town 0

Grantham Town put in a solid performance against a young looking Mansfield Town at The Meres on Saturday.

The Gingerbreads looked lively from the kick-off and had the ball in the net in the opening minute, but Paul Grimes was adjudged to be offside.

Greg Smith had his header saved by the last minute stand-in Mansfield keeper’s foot a minute later, and the Grantham number 10 touched the ball over and wide in the fourth minute too.

The home side kept the visitors penned in their own half and their first foray into the Grantham box did not come until the 16th minute, but keeper Jake Turner was easily equal to Dan Fletcher’s effort. Similarly, Tyler Blake’s 21st minute deflected shot failed to fool the Grantham stopper.

Grantham got the reward their efforts deserved seconds later when Grimes fired in after a good build-up.

Probably the Stags’ best chance of the whole game was when David Jones just had too much pace for the home defence, but his shot let him down and went straight to Turner.

Grantham were given a good opportunity to double their lead when Smith was fouled on the edge of the box just after the half hour mark. Connor Johnson curled his free kick beautifully around the Mansfield wall but their keeper was well placed to make the catch.

The Gingerbreads scored a second time on the stroke of half time. Grimes ran in on goal but unselfishly cut the ball back to Jordan Hempenstall who had time aplenty to pick his spot and fire home.

Grantham continued to dominate after the break and had the ball cleared off the line early in the second half.

The Gingerbreads extended their lead in the 49th minute when Hempenstall turned and fired in with aplomb as the Mansfield defenders looked on aghast.

Grimes and Smith had further chances for the home side, and Kieran Walker blasted over with his effort.

Mansfield’s fate was well and truly sealed just after the hour when they were awarded a free kick from 20 yards out. Grimes executed the kick with deft precision, giving the visting keeper no chance to even react.

Grimes stepped up to take another free kick a couple of minutes later from virtually the same spot, but this time he went to the left and his shot went just wide of the target.

Grantham had less chances in the second half as they experimented with substitutions, but they remained untroubled at the back.

The Gingerbreads’ last real goal scoring opportunity came in the 82nd minute but sub Sam Purcicoe’s downward header went just wide.

Grantham Town: Turner, Walker, Bennett, Meikle, Lister, Watt (c), Dickinson, Johnson, Grimes, Smith, Hempenstall. Subs: Rawden, Batchelor, Purcicoe, Haughton, Zuerner.