Grantham Town return to winning ways against King’s Lynn

Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Greg Smith (9) scored both of Grantham Town's goals against King's Lynn Town at The Meres on Tuesday night. Photo: 814D

Greg Smith (9) scored both of Grantham Town's goals against King's Lynn Town at The Meres on Tuesday night. Photo: 814D

Grantham 2

King’s Lynn Town 0

Grantham Town returned to winning ways, halting King’s Lynn Town’s four game unbeaten league run at The Meres on Tuesday night.

With a mostly aerial battle in the opening exchanges, George Thomson put a third minute cross in for Lynn but there were no team-mates’ heads in the box to connect. Two minutes later at the other end, Jamie McGhee was put through by Ash Burbeary but the linesman’s flag was already up.

Grantham won a free kick 35 yards out on the right flank. Taken by Sam Purcicoe, it flew straight to Greg Smith in the box but he chested wide of the far post. A Smith flick-on saw Ben Fairclough win a corner at the touchline, but the Linnets’ defence cleared the danger from Burbeary’s flag kick.

McGhee sliced his volley past the Lynn near post on 20 minutes and Burbeary rocketed his over the bar five minutes later.

Gary Mills’s 29th minute long free kick bounced just too high for Jake Jones to connect and Grantham keeper Jake Turner snaffled the ball. Turner’s counterpart Alexander Street came to the rescue for Lynn at the other end when he caught Burbeary’s cross over his head while under pressure.

The Linnets enjoyed a strong spell in the final 10 minutes of the half. Jones’s was deflected wide, as was Richard Bunting’s effort, and Turner got his fingertips to Andrew Hall’s cross-cum-shot.

Turner was quickest to the ball to deny Sam Mulready on 40 minutes, and Daniel Jacob just knocked wide from Hall’s corner kick a minute later.

Smith dragged his second half opening minute effort wide of the target, but he would prove to be the undoingi of Lynn.

The Linnets were still full of running and had the home side on the back front for the first 10 minutes of the second period, with Grantham runners-up for almost every ball.

But the game was turned on its head in the 55th minute. Following a long Adie Hawes throw, the ball eventually found McGhee who put in a cross through the six yard box where Smith got a touch and the ball rolled slowly over the line.

The goal changed the whole complexion of the game and Lynn’s Dan Quigley almost rocketed the ball into his own net eight minutes later.

A composed Smith doubled the Gingerbreads lead in the 74th minute, controlling a through ball before firing past Lynn stopper Street.

Hall fired over the Grantham goal two minutes later and the home side cleared from a free kick and a corner as the game went into added time when chances became few and far between for either side.

As the final minutes ticked away, Burbeary sliced a shot wide of the Lynn goal. The visitors returned fire quickly but Jacob’s desperate 25-yarder flew over the bar, and referee Mr Plowright blew the final whistle shortly afterwards.

Grantham Town: Turner, Purcicoe, Andrew, Meikles (Hawes, 33), Miller, Towey, Burbeary, Nwadike, G. Smith, Fairclough (Jackson, 64), McGhee (King, 78). Subs not used: Graham, Lewis.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Thomson, Jacob, Lee, Fryatt, Bunting (Greg Mills 78), Hall, Gary Mills (Young, 65), Quigley, Mulready (Duffy, 65), Jones. Subs not used: R. Clarke, E. Clarke.

Att: 253