Grantham Town stop the rot after goalless draw against Buxton

Grantham Town's Ben Saunders manoeuvres in the Buxton penalty area. Photo: 744C
Grantham Town's Ben Saunders manoeuvres in the Buxton penalty area. Photo: 744C
Have your say

A goalless draw with Buxton ended Grantham Town’s losing streak at The Meres on Tuesday night.

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Premier Division

Grantham Town 0

Buxton 0

The visitors looked dangerous in the opening 10 minutes, with the long throw-ins of Marc Roberts causing particular consternation in the Grantham 18-yard box.

But Town settled and had a good spell up front, with their defence looking solid and composed.

The Gingerbreads’ first shot came from Rhys Lewis whose 17th-minute effort rose over the Buxton crossbar. Ben Saunders headed over the target six minutes later.

Conor Higginson put in a good cross over the box to Paul Grimes, but the Town number nine was beaten to the ball by visiting keeper Ian Deakin. Shortly after, Deon Meikle supplied Higginson from a good long ball but he was unable to get a shot off.

Grantham continued to play entertaining football at times, but the crucial finish was still lacking. Buxton responded with the occasional counter-attack.

Grimes was fouled outside the penalty area in the 38th minute. Martin Ball’s free kick took a slight deflection and dipped straight into Deakin’s arms.

Buxton looked to have a sure goal five minutes before half time. Michael Towey chipped Town keeper James Martin but Phil Watt managed to get a boot to clear the ball from the six yard box.

Buxton had the ball in the net in the 44th minute but Grantham were saved by the linesman’s flag for offside. Town had a last minute chance to take the lead but Ben Saunders lifted his shot over the bar.

Lee Morris fired wide of the Grantham goal in the 51st minute and six minutes later Kieran Lumsden failed to reach dangerous substitute Anthony Griffiths’ swinging cross. A minute later, Griffiths had his strike saved by Martin’s feet.

Towey teed up a shot after the hour but lifted it over before Buxton had one of their best opportunities. Griffiths squared the ball past Martin to Lumsden in the six yard box, but a simple tap-in became a neat pass to keeper Martin.

Grantham had another let-off in the 71st minute when Lumsden fired wide from another Griffiths cross.

Grimes, Meikle and Potts had late chances to grab a goal for the home side, as the Gingerbreads finished with 10 men after substitute McGhee received his second yellow card.

Grantham Town: Martin, Purcicoe, Potts, Meikle, S. Saunders, Watt, Lewis, Ball, Grimes, B. Saunders (Battersby, 80), Higginson (McGhee, 66). Subs not used: Robinson, Nwadike, Magee. Att: 177.