Harrowby United defeat Blackstones for second successive Saturday

Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 5

Blackstones 1

Harrowby United produced a five-star performance to defeat Lincolnshire neighbours Blackstones for the second Saturday in a row.

The Arrows put the visitors under pressure right from the word go and were rewarded with a goal after eight minutes.

Good work down the left saw Jamie Preston pass inside to Martin Wormall. The Harrowby striker’s shot was kept out by a combination of keeper John Swales and centre back James Curran. The ball struck the unfortunate Curran’s hand and referee Mr Gray had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Wormall stepped up and slotted into the bottom right hand corner, giving Swales no chance.

The following phase of the game saw chances at both ends with Drury saving an Addie Staffieri effort with his legs, and Swales diving to save a low drive from Bobby Lee. After 21 minutes, Harrowby were disappointed not to be awarded a second spot kick when Wormall was felled in the area.

Harrowby doubled their lead a minute before half time when a Liam Harper corner made its way to the back post where Wormall reacted quickest to slide in and knock the ball into the net.

The lead was increased to two minutes into the second half when a deep cross from the right was met first time by Lee whose volley found the net, despite a desperate attempt to clear by Curran.

Blackstones got themselves back into the game a minute later when an innocuous looking challenge from Sam Hill was deemed a foul by assistant referee Mr Dungworth. Mr Gray pointed to the spot and Adam Scotcher smashed an unstoppable penalty high into the net past Drury.

Harrowby’s three-goal cushion was restored after 54 minutes when a blocked shot from Wormall rebounded to John Currall who rifled into the back of the net.

The final goal came from 16-year-old debutant Joe Wilcocks who came off the bench to score arguably the goal of the game. He met cross into the box from the right with an angled volleyand the ball flew in past Swales before he had time to react.

One minute into stoppage time, substitute Luke Peberdy thought he had added a sixth for the Arrows with a sweet shot from the edge of the box, only to see the ball rattle the crossbar.

The win cemented Harrowby’s second place in the division and gave them a four-point advantage over third-placed Eynesbury Rovers whose fixture fell foul of the weather.

Harrowby United man of the match was Simon Bolland.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall, Preston, Hill, Whyley, Harper (Weatherstone, 69), Jaques, Bolland (c), Lee, Wormall (Wilcocks, 85), Shaw (Peberdy, 78). Subs not used: Webb, Hotchin.