Harrowby United endure tough tests at home

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22
Have your say

UCL Premier

Harrowby United 1 Yaxley 2

Harrowby United 1 Desborough Tn 1

Harrowby United came up marginally short in a hard fought midweek fixture under the lights at the Environcom Stadium.

It was their second home game in four days and followed a 1-1 draw with Desborough Town when they conceded their 100 cent home record.

On Tuesday night, Yaxley put the Harrowby defence under pressure from the off, but The Arrows weathered the early storm and it was they who went in front after 17 minutes.

Lee Shaw caused a mix- up between Cuckoos keeper Aaron Butcher and defender Wayne Morris, causing Morris to nod the ball over his teammate for an own goal.

After that Harrowby enjoyed their best period of the game.

On 27 minutes a good move involving Joe Clarke and Scott Webb down the left resulted in Webb’s cross being met on the back post by Ian Ward whose low shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Three minutes later Shaw set Webb away down the left and the wide man’s cross was inches away from being converted by both Hill and Ward as it flashed across goal.

Yaxley got themselves back into the game after 35 minutes when a disputed free kick into the penalty area was neatly controlled by veteran skipper Ricky Hailstone, who turned well and fired a low shot past Arrows’ keeper Aiden Hotchin.

Harrowby were sloppy from the kick-off in the second half and were made to pay for it. They immediately surrendered possession and the ball found its way to the Cuckoos new signing Callum Reed, whose tame shot found the back of the net via Hotchin.

Half chances were created by both sides in the last half an hour of the game, and Harrowby can take heart from another strong performance as they look to establish themselves in the division.

Harrowby United:- Aiden Hotchin, Sam Weatherstone, Joe Clarke, Billy Stubbs, Jack Whyley, Ian Ward {Liam Harper 66}, Sam Hill (c), Simon Bolland, Scott Webb, Barry Payne, Lee Shaw.

Subs not used:- Liam Warner, Liam Jaques, John Currall, JJ Gaskin.

United were denied maximum points in the dying seconds on Saturday.

Harrowby had chances throughout the first half and were also on top at the start of the second.

Inside a minute of the re-start a fine through ball from Ward gave Shaw a shooting chance but his effort went wide. Two minutes later Payne twice turned his marker but only managed to shoot tamely at the keeper. The Harrowby striker was again denied by Lavin, the Desborough stopper saving well from his close range header.

Harrowby finally made the breakthrough after 67 minutes when a long throw from Clarke was flicked over the keeper by the head of Payne, the ball hitting the underside of the crossbar and creeping over the line.

Harrowby continued to create and squander chances and two minutes from time they had the chance to secure the points when Shaw was brought down in penalty area by Hackett.

But the normally reliable Webb’s spot kick was well saved by Lavin.

It proved to be a costly miss as moments later a hopeful ball over the top by Goodall was picked up by an offside looking Michael Byrne.

No flag came and the Desborough forward ran clear to finish coolly past Hotchin.

Harrowby United:- Aiden Hotchin, John Currall, Joe Clarke, Liam Warner, Jack Whyley, Ian Ward {Liam Harper 75}, Sam Hill (c), Simon Bolland, Scott Webb, Barry Payne {Liam Jaques 90+1}, Lee Shaw. Subs not used:- Sam Weatherstone, Tom Vorley, JJ Gaskin.

Harrowby have another home game on Saturday (September 6) against AFC Rusden & Diamonds (KO 3pm) and on Tuesday are away to Thurnby Nirvana (KO 7:45pm).