Harrowby United fall at first hurdle in FA Cup debut

Harrowby goalkeeper and man of the match Jack Drury.
Harrowby goalkeeper and man of the match Jack Drury.
Have your say

FA Cup

Extra Preliminary Round

Clipstone FC 2

Harrowby United 0

Harrowby United came up short in their first ever game in the prestigious FA Cup.

They lost by two unanswered goals to Clipstone from the Northern Counties East League, who themselves were entering the competition for the first time.

Both sides started brightly enough, the ‘Cobras’ feeling they had a shout for a penalty after only five minutes although referee Mr Tomes adjudged Jack Whyley’s challenge to be well timed. At the other end, Harrowby forced a succession of corners that were well dealt with by the Clipstone defence.

After 31 minutes, United’s Billy Stubbs fouled Dan Wood and picked up a yellow card before Ryan Hindley fired the resulting free kick over the cross bar. Five minutes before the break, Whyley deflected Callum Mawby’s goalbound effort on to a post and behind for a corner. From the kick, Stuart Hill’s header hit the bar and went over.

There were two controversial moments in the final couple of minutes of the half. Clipstone’s Hindley stamped on Lee Shaw under the assistant referee’s nose but Mr Tomes only produced a yellow card for the offence. And on the stoke of half time, a cross from Mawby struck Stubbs’s hand and the referee went straight to his pocket to harshly give the Arrows centre back his second yellow card, swiftly followed by a red to reduce the visitors to 10 men.

Three minutes into the second half, Ian Ward almost connected with a cross from Shaw as the Arrows started on the front foot. Soon after, Ward turned provider as his cross just eluded Scott Webb arriving at the far post.

As Clipstone got a foothold into the game they began to make the most of their man advantage and took the lead after 58 minutes with a fine individual goal from Ashley Rawson. The Clipstone player won the ball in midfield, dinked it over the Arrows high back line before bursting through and calmly slot the ball past keeper Jack Drury.

Harrowby’s 10 men pushed to get back into the game and on 68 minutes Liam Harper had a chance but fired over from 12 yards out.

Mawby took advantage of the gaps in Harrowby’s rearguard as they pushed for an equaliser and ran through only to be denied by a fine block from Drury.

The home side doubled their lead after 82 minutes when substitute Blake Owen was on hand to turn in Wood’s low cross from two yards out.

Harrowby did not give up and carried on pushing forward, and were thankful to keeper and man-of-the-match Drury who kept the score to 2-0 with three good stops in the final moments of the game.

Harrowby United: Drury, Weatherstone (Warner, 80), Clarke, Stubbs, Whyley, Harper, Hill (c), Bolland, Webb, Shaw, Ward (Peberdy, 73). Subs not used: Jaques, Gaskin, Hotchin.