Harrowby United go third

Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 2

Rothwell Corinthians 1

Harrowby moved up to third in the table an remain unbeaten in their first four fixtures of the season.

In an evenly-contested match at the Environcom Stadium on Saturday, the first real chance came on 18 minutes when Sam Hill headed just over from a corner.

Just after the half-hour mark, the first strike did come, this time Jack Whyley powered in a header from another home corner.

Craig Wilson doubled the lead six minutes later when, after a fine run down the right by Sam Weatherstone, the ball knocked into Lee Shaw, who laid it off for Wilson to coolly convert.

Just before the break, Hill saw another header go just wide as the Arrows finished strongly.

Almost immediately after the restart, Wilson had an effort saved at the foot of the post and a Scott Webb long-ranger was saved just under the cross bar.

But Rothwell came back and pulled a goal back on 51 minutes through Tom Johnson and might have been level a minute later having sprung the offside trap, only for Jack Drury to come off his line quickly and blocking with his legs before the danger was cleared by Hill.

Encouraged, the visitors dominated possession for most of the half without creating much and substitute Dan Reidy, with a header from a corner, and fellow substitute Bobby Lee both went close before Sam Kirton fired a free kick just over the bar.

Harrowby United: Drury, Weatherstone, Preston, Hill, Whyley, Harper, Kirton, Bolland, Webb (Lee 70), Shaw (Reidy 60), Wilson (Jacque 83. Subs not used: Neaverson, Gibson.

l Harrowby are running a coach for the FA Vase game at Cambridge Regional College, who play at Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium, on Saturday September 7, Price £5 per person. Bus leaves Harrowby club at noon.

Central Midlands League South

Bulwell 5

Barrowby 2

Barrowby’s hope of capitalising on a strong performance against Clifton were dashed after 90 minutes when the home side took the lead inside 90 seconds.

The home side made it two 20 minutes later, following a deflection from a corner, but Barrowby pulled a goal back when a free kick wide on the left was delivered well by Clarke to find Payne rushing towards the back post to loop a well-directed header into the far corner.

The second half began with the visitors in the ascendancy with Loveridge causing problems on the right and it was from his burst of pace and cross that Glencross slid in to equalise.

It was clear the next goal would be crucial and came from Bulwell on 66 minutes, followed by another eight minutes later. The fifth goal went in just before the final whistle.

Lincolnshire League

CGB Humbertherm 5

Grantham Athletic 1

Bottom-placed Athletic continuued their torrid start to life at this level on Saturday, having conceded 14 goals in the first two fixtures.

James Potts scored their consolation goal.