Last gasp goal gives Grantham Town welcome win over Workington

Have your say

Northern Premier League

Premier Division

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

An open training day will be held for Sleaford Town Junior FC on Saturday, October 22

Grantham Town 1

Workington 0

Grantham Town claimed a welcome three points with a last gasp goal – in literally the last minute of added time.

The Gingerbreads battled throughout the 90 minutes but an improved second half saw them keep Workington on the back foot, and Alex Simmons’s 94th minute goal was just reward for their efforts.

Neither side looked like scoring in the opening 45 minutes although Town’s Ben Fairclough had a good chance in the third minute, but his close-range header lacked direction.

The visitors’ Scott Allison tried a hopeful long range effort on 10 minutes but was woefully off-target and, four minutes later, the same player swivelled and directed his half-volley goalwards but he sliced it into the arms of Grantham keeper Dan Haystead.

The Gingerbreads’ long-ball game frustrated supporters in the stands, with Workington displaying some good on-the-ground football in comparison.

Laurie Wilson brought a good diving save from visiting goalie Jonny Jamieson in the 19th minute and five minutes later, denied Rhys Lewis the chance of an easy header on the edge of the six-yard box from a dangerous looping cross.

A Grantham free kick saw Wilson curled his 20-yard effort past the near post in the 39th minute whilst, at the other end, Town captain Phil Watt was on hand to head clear from a good, swerving corner kick.

Workington remained the more composed up to the half time whistle but the Gingerbreads had the last chance of the half. Visiting skipper Daniel Wordsworth brought Fairclough down on the edge of the box. Wilson stepped up for the free kick again but it was an easy catch for Jamieson.

With the strong wind now behind them, Grantham looked more purposeful after the break.

Town looked to be upping the pace and had their first real opportunity of the half in the 56th minute, but Wilson sliced his shot from distance.

Simmons broke down the left in the 63rd minute but wasted a good chance by firing his shot too early. The same player drove a fine drive from the edge of the penalty area five minutes later but the ball just rose over the bar.

A minute later, Jamieson just managed to smother the ball from Lewis’s feet on the edge of the six-yard box to deny what would have been a certain goal.

Grantham definintely had the upper hand by now, with the visitors defending in numbers and showing nothing going forward.

The Gingerbreads had the ball in the net in the 74th minute, courtesy of Simmons, but they were denied by the linesman’s offside flag.

Simmons and Town substitute striker Jordan Hempenstall continued to threaten but still with no reward.

With the game looking like ending in a goalless draw in the fourth minute of injury time, a scramble on the edge of the 18-yard box saw Jamieson unable to secure the ball and Simmons managed to get a touch and it trickled over the goal line to the joyous delight of the Gingerbreads’ support.

Grantham Town: Haystead, Purcicoe, Meikle, Batchelor, Watt, Wilson, Lewis (Johnson, 73), Towey, Simmons, Smith (Hempenstall, 63), Fairclough (Dickens, 90). Subs not used: Matthews, Turner.