Croxton overcome Gables in seven-goal clash

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Division One

AFC Three Gables 3

AFC Croxton 4

Croxton were quick to apply pressure to the hosts from the off. With the Gables struggling to make any early breaks, the visitors finally made the pressure pay when Tommy Ayton found the net.

The home side immediately came back and put the Croxton defence under enough pressure to allow Shane Munton to slot home from the spot.

James Frost managed to keep the Gables at bay with a string of fine saves, until a deflected shot from James Loveridge left him wrong-footed and put the home side in front.

Croxton refused to go down and consistent pressure finally allowed Tom Boyfield to level the scores, before Tommy Ayton and Marc Clowes gave a two goal cushion to the travellers before the half time whistle had blown.

Second half sub, and manager, Gianni Angeloni did help Gables set up a tense finale with a precision lob, but Croxton were able to hold out to maintain their second place in the league.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Ropsley 6

Caythorpe 0

Ropsley avenged a defeat suffered at Caythorpe earlier this season by scoring six times in the club’s first game in two months.

Both teams observed a minute-long silence in memory of former Grantham Town player Benny O’Meara prior to kick-off.

Ropsley, kicking into the wind first half, started well and took the lead early in the game through Ryan Wilson-Law.

Man-of-the-match Wilson-Law turned provider for the second, linking up with Loz Fiorentino before Rich Healey rounded the keeper to make it 2-0.

Chris Greenaway extended Ropsley’s lead early in the second half with a well placed free-kick before Healey grabbed his second with a deft chip over the on-rushing Caythorpe keeper.

Healey was felled in the box for a penalty mid-way through the second-half. Despite being on a hat-trick the Ropsley striker stepped aside for Glenn O’Meara to score the spot-kick.

Tom Parrish grabbed the final goal, smashing a 20-yard shot into the roof of the net.