FOOTBALL: Barrowby pressure but fail to score

Share this article
Have your say

Central Midlands League


Blidworth 3

Barrowby 0

Coming on the back of their fine home victory the week before, Barrowby felt confident of adding to their points tally.

A good start reinforced this with The Swans enjoying large spells of possession. On 20 minutes, the deadlock was nearly broken when Stubbs intercepted a pass in midfield and played a well-weighted ball through to King, who in turn found Watson running in from wide left.

Taking the ball in his stride with an electric turn of pace, Watson ran towards goal and with the keeper to beat, could only side-foot wide.

Barrowby could not turn this sustained pressure into goals and they were punished for their indecisiveness in front of goal when Blidworth took the lead on 29 minutes. O’Connor hauled down the Blidworth striker with the ball bouncing awkwardly towards goal and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot. The home side made no mistake with the resulting spot kick, the ball being dispatched low and hard, giving Davies in goal no chance.

Barrowby were dealt another blow when on 38 minutes Tyndall sustained a nasty knock on his ankle and had to be replaced. But the visitors pushed forward and on 40 minutes, Clarke almost levelled when a well-struck free kick just went over.

After their first half domination, Barrowby felt they could turn the scoreline around during the second 45 minutes. The game soon started to reflect the first half, with Barrowby lacking the quality in the final third.

The visiting team were made to pay again when on 53 minutes Blidworth doubled their lead. The home side broke from another Barrwby attack and played a hopeful long ball over the top of the Barrowby defence. The on-running striker nudged O’Connor off balance, as they fought for the ball, and managed to execute a delightful lob over the advancing Davies.

Watson continued to cause Blidworth problems down the left with his pace and direct approach, but this was not turned into clear chances. Blidworth then punished Barrowby further when on 65 minutes they scored a third. A throw from the right saw a player turn and fire a low, hard cross in for an easy tap-in from close range.

Barrowby’s man of the match was Liam Warner.