FOOTBALL: Buzzing Beehive batter behemoths to reach Lincs Junior Cup final

Have your say

Lincolnshire Junior Cup


Horncastle Town 1

Beehive United 3

PUB team Beehive United stunned Lincolnshire League side Horncastle Town on Saturday to reach the final of the Lincs Junior Cup.

Starting as underdogs, Beehive never let their opponents settle and took the lead after 20 minutes. Reidy and Stinson caused the Horncastle defence all kinds of trouble and Wilson found the top corner from 20 yards.

Horncastle rarely troubled Beehive keeper Drury, although a well-struck free kick did hit the crossbar.

Beehive were dealt a massive blow when top scorer Reidy went off with knee ligament damaage, but they remained dominant.

Beehive doubled their lead after Stinson received the ball 25 yards out, flicked it up and volleyed over the stranded keeper.

Horncastle pulled a goal back five minutes before half time. Beehive were guilty of switching off for the first time in the half, and a cross on the right was finished off by Carter at the second attempt.

Drury made two fine saves to keep Beehive in front, but with 15 minutes remaining and Horncastle seemingly running out of ideas, Beehive broke away and man-of-the-match Craig Wilson smashed home an unstoppable shot into the far corner, sending the 100 travelling supporters wild.

The third goal knocked the stuffing out of the home side and set Beehive up for the final in which they will meet Market Rasen Town.

Grantham & District Saturday League

Division One

Ryhall United A 1

AFC Croxton 6

IN what was expected to be a tough battle, the match started with not an inch being left open as neither side wished to leave a space for the other to find a way through.

As the game ebbed first Croxton’s way and then back to Ryhall, it was with the match in its infancy that a home attack saw a lofted cross from the left wing met comfortably by Nick Fane to give the home side a well deserved advantage.

With everything still to play for, both defences closed ranks and chances on goal fell few and far between.

With half time quickly approaching, a Michael Burkitt free kick was met by Danny Walker to draw things level.

A pinpoint Luke Ashworth shot shook Ryhall as they fell behind with the break in sight, and the nerves showed when Croxton were awarded a penalty which Marc Clowse was unable to convert to double the lead.

Having settled following the break, Ryhall staunchly defended again and sought to counter for a quick equaliser, but within minutes from the restart they were undone again as Walker found the net for the second time.

Looking to take advantage of the new run of play, Croxton introduced Konrad Adamiak to the game and he quickly took the first of his two goals, either side of a Tom Boyfield strike.

With the end in sight, Ryhall closed up to finish the game with the resolution they had started it and while looking for a consolation goal they defended expertly to leave the game with a scoreline undeserving of their efforts on the day.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Totemic 2

Caythorpe 3

BOTH teams went into the game on the back of good results the previous week, with everything to play for in this bottom of the table clash.

Totemic started the brightest and were soon one up. Caythorpe regrouped and got back into the game but were unable to find the net before half time.

Caythorpe levelled from a penalty after Ryan Plows was hacked down in the area, with Andre Keidel firing home from the spot.

Totemic went back in front straight from the kick-off as Caythorpe gave their strikers too much space, allowing them to slot home from close range.

Caythorpe equalised a second time from the spot through Ben Padley, after substitute Paulo Grassatelli was fouled in the box.

The visitors pressed hard for the winner and were rewarded when Grassatelli met a low cross and looped the ball over the diving keeper to lift his side off the bottom of the table.

Man of the match was Sean Pexton.

Caythorpe: Blackman, Barnes, Hack, Meakin, Harrison, Dixon, Keidel, Pexton, Dilloway, Padley, Plows. Subs: Batchelor, Andrews, Grassatelli, Grocock, Cox.


Railway Club FC 1

Barrowby United 4

BARROWBY United went into the game as underdogs and stepped up to the mark and outplayed Railway from beginning to end.

Barrowby went ahead from a penalty, slotted home by skipper Sam Scothern. But the goal was cancelled out when a pass back by John Turner bobbled horribly over Perry’s foot and into the net.

Barrowby however restored their lead with two stunning Tom Figura goals, one from a superb pass from left back Troy Eldred.

A simple header by Conor Macgregor from an outstanding left-footed cross by Jamie Bowen wrapped up a fantastic win.

Man of the match went to Kyle Withers for a solid performance at centre back.

Barrowby: Worrell, Whyley, Turner, Withers, Eldred, A. K., Scothern, Potts, Macgregor, Bowen, Figura, Crowther, Foster, Prem, Haynes, Grant, Giddens, Chester.