FOOTBALL: Colsterworth United finally prevail

Share this article
Have your say

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Nobody Inn Athletic 3

Colsterworth United 4

COLSTERWORTH eventually prevailed in an evenly matched encounter, but suffered an early set-back when the home side struck with a long-range swerving effort.

But United quickly replied with Liam Asher’s well-directed header and then took the lead before half time through James Ballaam’s volleyed finish.

Nobody struck twice early in the second half and looked set to hold on for victory until Martin Maclean grabbed an equaliser with minutes remaining.

However the game was not over and in the dying seconds Liam Asher was first to a loose ball and smashed home to seal the points.

Colsterworth: Nicholson, Robinson, Duncan, Jewnandez, Carthew, Taylor, Asher, Ballaam, Redley, Maclean, Leonard. Subs: O’Brien, Rylott, Cornish, Singleton.

Springfield AFC 6

Caythorpe 1

SPRINGFIELD returned to winning ways and got off to a super start.

Good work down the left saw Vorley hit a low cross into the 6yd area where Wilson had an easy tap-in. Springfield went further ahead when Webb’s through-ball found Shaw who ran on and slotted his shot past the Caythorpe keeper.

Springfield started to take control and their own back four were rarely troubled. From a corner kick, man-of-the-match Whyley rose to head home Springy’s third, before Webb scored his first of the day.

Caythorpe pulled a goal back with a shot from Kettle beating Drury in the Springfield goal.

The second half saw Springy increase the pressure, and some great passing resulted in Shaw scoring his second. With 10 minutes remaining, Webb completed his brace.

Springfield: Drury, Dixon, Proctor, Blanchard, Stubbs, Vorley, Green, Whyley, Wilson, Shaw, Webb, Sterry, McGhee.

Premier League

Smiths of Bourne 2

Ropsley Fox 6

ROPSLEY Fox went in search of a sixth consecutive win in the league but they came up against a Bourne side who had won four on the bounce themselves.

It was the Foxes who made the first breakthrough with good work from man-of-the-match Nick Hardy down the right who slipped the ball to Glencross. He rounded the last defender and knocked the ball past the home keeper.

Foxes kept the momentum going and good work down the left from Rastall and Clarke saw the latter crossing to Glencross who narrowly missed from six yards out. Glencross made amends minutes later when set up again by Hardy, he found the back of the net again.

A long throw from Clarke found Liam Warner who headed powerfully into the corner from 12 yards out to make it 3-0. Clarke was the provider for the fourth as he played a volleyed through-ball for Billy Stubbs who cheekily rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home.

Foxes started the second half as they finished the first. After a great forward run from Stubbs, he played the ball to Glencross who flicked to Hardy who notched up the Ropsley’s fifth. Ropsley’s small squad was getting stretched and after Rastall went off injured, Payne limped on to the field. Despite not being able to run, he found the corner of the net with a rasping volley from the edge of the area.

With Smith starting his first game for six months and Warner only just back from injury, the Foxes decided to try and hold on to what they had. This encouraged Smiths of Bourne and they finished the game the stronger, creating several chances. They converted two of them with some style to give the score a bit more respectabilty.

Ropsley: Davies, Rastall, O’Connor, Atkinson, Currall, Smith, Warner, Stubbs, Clarke, Hardy, Glencross. Subs: Payne, Brown.