FOOTBALL: Depleted Buckminster overcome adversity to win at Heckington

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Heckington Millers 2

Buckminster United 4

Buckminster knew they were in for a tough match with five players out, a bumpy, boggy pitch and windy conditions.

The away side started slowly and could not get hold of the ball and keep it. But there were no real chances at either end until a corner for the visitors was viciously swung into the goalmouth and evaded everyone, with Hubert Chlopek claiming the goal.

This seemed to settle Bucky down and they gradually started to get a foothold in the game and keeping the ball better.

But before the safety of the half time whistle, the Millers were back level. After a corner was poorly defended, the home attacker was on hand at the back post to head in to equalise.

The second half saw some changes with veteran midfielder Craig Moore on to tighten things up and player-manager Craig Fyfe on up front. This seemed to do the trick and from a great run on the right from Jacques, he lobbed the ball to the far post where Fyfe rose to head into the far corner with his first touch.

The reshuffle saw Danny Moore dropping a bit deeper and seeing more of the ball, and from good work from him a

lobbed effort saw the home defender clear off the line, only for Colin Howe to lash home on the half volley from eight yards out.

Bucky were never safe though as the Millers looked dangerous on the break and forced a penalty when a shot was deemed to be handled by Kris Adamson and the home striker stepped up to coolly finish.

This did not deter Bucky and with more fight and character in the second half, they kept going and grabbed another goal with good work again from Danny Moore, putting in his older brother Craig who teed up man-of-the-match Fyfe for his second.

Buckminster: Nicholls, Adamson, Martini, Chambers, Bowers, Footitt, Howe, Jacques, Miller, D. Moore, Chlopek, Fyfe, C. Moore, Hollingworth, Martin.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Totemic 2

Caythorpe 3

Caythorpe raced into a two-goal lead, the first slotted home by Jack Dilloway after a close-range shot from Duncan Macpherson had been well saved by the home keeper.

Debutant Tim Clayton grabbed the second, coolly rounding the keeper and firing into an empty net.

Totemic came back strongly and were gifted a goal from the spot after a clumsy challenge in the box by Andre Keidel.

The home side equalised after the break, the shot just beating the outstretched arm of Caythorpe keeper Nathan Arnold.

Caythorpe pressed for the winner and were rewarded when Dilloway latched on to Chris Jackson’s pinpoint through-ball and rifled home.

Man of the match was Andre Keidel.

Caythorpe: Arnold, Dixon, Meakin, Growcock, Tranmeer, Welby, Keidel, Clayton, Carthew, Macpherson, Dilloway. Subs: Harrison, McClaren, Jackson, Batchelor.