FOOTBALL: Frost goal breaks deadlock in Croxton cup victory

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Memorial Cup, first round

AFC Croxton 4

Cranmer Arms 1

CROXTON looked the more threatening side from the off, getting forward and peppering the visiting goalkeeper at every opportunity.

With half a dozen missed chances, it was not until the 18th minute that the deadlock was broken when Rafal Kolasa slotted the ball calmly across the six yard box for James Frost to put the ball into the back of the net.

The lead was short lived though as Cranmer woke up and after a period of strong possession, Garry Kirkby levelled to bring the cup game to life.

Fifteen minutes later, Kolasa was brought down in the box allowing Marc Clowes to regain the advantage from the spot before half time.

With a slow start to the second half, Croxton were looking to capitalise with the extra man and were quick to do so when a Tom Boyfield bicycle kick found the back of the net to give a two goal cushion.

Cranmer fought hard to take the game back their challengers and maintained periods of sustained pressure, with some well-timed counterattacks, but failed to get the ball across the line when it counted.

Croxton made sure of a place in the second round after Konrad Adamiak latched on to a defence-splitting Luke Ashworth through-ball and slotted in his side’s fourth.

White Swan Barrowby 8

Bottesford Reserves 1

SWANS started their cup campaign in emphatic style with a goalfest at the Low Field.

Early pressure paid off when Radford slotted home to put the home side in the lead. A further goal came for Radford, this time on his left foot from the edge of the six yard box.

The impressive Wilson added the third before Barrowby scored a fourth before half time. A great move involving several one touch passes ended with Conboy jinking through to slot coolly past the advancing keeper.

The second half was no different as Barrowby were ruthless in front of goal. No sooner had Wilson added another before he completed a fine hat trick with a rasping shot into the roof of the net, giving the keeper no chance. Daykin opened his account for the club from a well-placed Clarke corner to take the score to 7-0.

A lapse in concentration saw Bottesford pull a goal back with a fine header but this break in Barrowby dominance lasted only minutes. The goal of the game saw Conboy steal possession deep in his own half before stroking a 30 yard pass into the path of Aiden Woods who skilfully chipped it over the keeper to seal the game.

Man of the match was Craig Wilson.

Greyhounders 1

Harrowby United Reserves 2

THE game started off at a lacklustre pace with neither side willing to take the game to each other and only a handful of half-chances, with the majority coming from Harrowby attacking Greyhounders right hand side.

With 10 minutes remaining of the half, Greyhounders took a shock lead with a free kick whipped in from their left hand side, causing a mix-up in the Harrrowby defence which allowed a tap-in at the back post.

Harrowby came out looking like a new side and took the second half by the scruff of the neck. And it was not long before Harrowby got on level terms following a nice exchange between Brown and Abel, with the latter firing past the oncoming keeper.

Harrowby did not let up and within five minutes another sweeping move, involving Coleman, Petrou, Brown and Abel, resulted in Abel lobbing the keeper for his second.

Abel was denied his hat trick after his volley against the crossbar bounced down over the line and out. With the referee unsure, he waved play on.

Harrowby: Scothern, Dixon, Asher, Winters, Turner, Coleman, Macgregor, Green, McDonald, Brown, Abel, Sterry, Spencer, Petrou.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Grantham United TRE 3

Long Bennington 2

UNITED started brightly and created chances but were unable to put any away.

They were punished by a mistake from their defence, allowing Long Bennington go 1-0 up on 20 minutes.

Again United created chances only to find themselves trailing 2-0 at half time.

Grantham reduced the deficit in the second half from a well worked goal scored by Figura. United drew level in the 70th minute when Scothern scored from a header.

Both teams had chances to put the game to bed but on the 85th minute, a brilliantly worked goal aw Tyler Haynes make sure United took all three points.

Grantham United: Marius, Gray, Withers, Turner, Haynes, Gaskin, Scothern, Sheen, Ak, Figura, Smith. Subs: Macgregor, Chadwick, Tilford, Eldred.

Colsterworth United 1

Springfield 2

SPRINGFIELD moved to the top of the table after a hard-fought victory over a battling Colsterworth.

Spring’s Lee Shaw ran on to Conboy’s through-ball, beat his man and put Sterry through to score his first of the season.

The second half saw Colsterworth come at Springy from the whistle and pulled themselves level within five minutes.

Spring woke up and responded by regaining the lead. Shaw ran down the left and into the box, slotting his shot past the keeper to give his side all three points.

Man of the match was Lee Shaw.

Springfield: McGhee, Duncan, Dixon, Spencer, Stubbs, I. Shaw, Conboy, McDonald, Sterry, L. Shaw, Webb, Martins, Green, McGettigan, Wilson.

Knockout Cup

Ropsley 3

Aslockton Cranmers 1

THE two sides met for the second time this season, with Ropsley again coming back from a goal behind to secure the win.

Cranmers began the game well, spurning a one-one-one chance before taking the lead midway through the half. Cranmers worked the ball well down the left before putting over a cross which was well struck into the far bottom corner.

Ropsley gradually improved as the game went on before drawing level midway through the second half.

Winger Lewis Watson cut inside to collect a pass and hit a thunderous volley. The goalkeeper could only parry into the path of striker Jack Russell who slotted the ball into the corner of the net.

Aslockton missed another one-on-one before Ropsley took the lead through a scrappy goal. Watson chased a long ball and battled with the Cranmers goalkeeper. He was pushed to the byline before pulling back for Rich Healey. Healey’s strike was heading towards goal before it was smashed into the top corner by an unfortunate Cranmers defender.

Healey secured Ropsley’s place in the second round when he brought down a goalkeeper’s clearance before running at the Cranmers defence. Man-of-the-match Healey turned three defenders inside-out before coolly finishing to make it 3-1.

Newark Alliance

Division One

The Fox at Kirton 5

Barkestone le Vale 0

THE game began as a war of attrition with neither side able to produce any fluid football.

Barkestone’s Tom Coleman went close with an outrageous effort from distance, but in truth there was little for either keeper to do. It was no surprise it took a set-piece to break the deadlock.

A deep Kirton cross was headed back across goal and looped into the far corner. Kirton doubled their lead with a lob from the edge of the area and it was 3-0 at half time from a header after a corner.

In the second half, Barkestone improved in patches but got nowhere near the football they are capable of producing. Kirton made it four after a defensive error and five came from the penalty spot after the striker had been brought down by keeper Dave Allen.

Barkestone’s man of the match was Nick Silverwood.