FOOTBALL: Grantham and District Saturday and Sunday League reports

Have your say

Melton Charity Cup


Melton Town 0

Buckminster United 2

BUCKMINSTER reached the semi-final with a fantastic performance against Leicester Senior League side Melton Town.

Melton started much the stronger and their fast paced, flowing passing game was too much for the young Buckminster side early on. However, as the Grantham Saturday League side grew in confidence, the chances soon followed.

Paul Chappell hit a fierce 25yd free kick inches over the bar and the tireless Tom Figura was also only inches off target with a speculative lob from 30 yards.

The home side had chances of their own but could not breakdown a resilient Buckminster back four and with Harry Nicholls in fine form in goal, the Melton side became more and more frustrated.

On the half hour, the skilful Zak Lehair made a surging run toward goal from the right wing only to be upended in the box, giving the referee no option but to award a penalty. Chappell stepped up to confidently fire into the bottom left hand corner.

The second period started with Melton on the attack, and they were unlucky not to equalise when a close range effort cannoned off the cross bar.

With Buckminster growing in confidence, the home side were forced back time and again and late on as Melton searched for the equaliser, a long clearance from the visitors found the pacey Darren Parker in a one-on-one situation with the home defender. He powered away from the defender and knocked the ball past the keeper to slot into the empty net and send Buckminster into the next round.

Buckminster man of the match was Zak Lehair

Buckminster: Nicholls, Harris, Miller, Kettle, Hollingworth, Martini, Howe, Lehair, Chappell, Moore, Figura. Subs: Payne, Parker.

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

Grantham Saturday League – Premier Division

Greyhounders 2

Buckminster United 3

BUCKMINSTER continued their recent good form with a last gasp vistory over the unlucky Greyhounders.

Racing out of the blocks from the first whistle, the visitors totally dominated the first half and were unlucky not to be four or five goals to the good at half time.

And as early as the 10th minute, a flowing passing move started by skipper Martini found youngter Lewis Kettle in space and his one-two with Parker allowed him to finish confidently past the home keeper.

Greyhounders hit back within minutes against the run of play when Jamie Archer took a pass, and finished well into the top corner.

Buckminster should have put the game out of reach in the next 20 minutes, when Danny Moore fired over from close range, and then powered a header against the bar shortly after. Darren Parker also fired straight at the home keeper when through one-on-one moments later.

The second half was a scrappy affair, dominated for long periods by the home side, and on 50 minutes and against the run of play, a short back pass from the home side allowed the dangerous Darren Parker to beat the keeper with an unstoppable effort from close range.

For all Greyhounders’ possession it was not until the 85th minute that they finally found the breakthrough when the home attacker was allowed space in the area to fire in from a tight angle.

This set up a tense finale, with end to end football with which both teams could have stolen the points, but in the fourth minute of injury time it was the visitors who were victorious. Substitute Richard Payne found space down the left, picked his cross perfectly to find man-of-the-match Moore at the back post. His precision control allowed a first time shot which was fired low across a crowded goal mouth and into the net to give Buckminster the three points.

Buckminster: Nicholls, Harris, Miller, Kettle, Chambers, Figura, Howe, Martini, Chappell, Moore, Parker. Subs: Payne.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Totemic 1

Springfield AFC 8

SPRINGFIELD only fielded a bare 11 and had to put goalkeeper Drury up front, and he gave them the lead when he lobbed the Totemic keeper.

Sterry doubled the advantage with a simple tap-in before Vorley hit a stunning 30yd free kick into the top corner.

Springfield took control in the second half, with Drury adding his second with a placed shot. Howe made it five when he flicked in a Vorley cross.

Vorley completed his brace and then Shaw went on a mazy run before burying his shot into the bottom corner. With five minutes remaining, man-of-the-match Drury completed his hat trick, and Totemic grabbed a last gasp goal of their own.

Springfield: McGhee, Wilson, Blanchard, Dixon, Stubbs, Vorley, Winters, Sterry, Howe, Shaw, Drury.

Premier Division

Ropsley Fox 7

Helpringham 2

ROPSLEY started in their usual high tempo and took the game to the visitors. Hardy went on a mazy run down the left and then picked out Jason Harrison who scored off the post within five minutes of his debut.

The score remained the same for 25 minutes as both teams were pressing and the game went end to end. As the game started to fizzle out, Ropsley took control with two quick goals to end the half.

The first set up again by Hardy down the left with a cross-cum-shot that found Glencross who opened his account for the season with a nice first touch followed by a tidy finish into the bottom corner. The latter was a great ball in from Clarke that pressured the defender to mistime his clearance into the back of the net.

Foxes started the second half in similar style to the first. First a bad clearance by the Helpringham backline fell to Clarke who rifled the ball home from 25 yards. This was followed by a great solo goal from man-of-the-match Steven Young who took it round five Helpringham players before a nice finish with his left foot.

Warner then scored a towering header after a long throw-in from Clarke, and it was Clarke himself who rounded off the scoring with his second from the spot after Young had been fouled.

Helpringham showed spirit throughout the game and were rewarded with two nicely taken goals either side of the penalty.

Witham Wanderers 0

Railway Club 1

RAILWAY had a couple of enforced changes for the grudge match with 2010 Division One champions Witham, with Walton and Withers coming in for Adamson and Aust.

In a tight first half, Railway had the bulk of the game with excellent interplay between Marshall, Wyles and Colyer unlucky not to open the scoring on a couple of occasions. Wanders came into the game towards the end of the first half with an opportunity being well stopped by Matty Atter in the Railway goal.

As the second half went on, Witham took more of the ball and Atter made some more crucial stops.

The game looked to be heading for a goalless draw before man-of-the-match Chris Tyler took advantage of the ball rebounding off Marshall from a Weatherstone corner. He took his time and picked his spot with exceptional precision to trigger celebrations for last year’s league one runners-up.

Railway: M. Atter, Dodwell, A. Atter, Daykin, Redford, Walton, Tyler, Withers, Wyles, Colyer, Marshall.