FOOTBALL: Springfield ease their way into semi-finals of cup

Have your say

Grantham & District Sunday League

Divisional Cup, q/final

Springfield AFC 3

Caythorpe 0

Springfield progressed to the semi-finals with a hard fought win, starting brightly and taking the lead from a neat one-two between Wormall and Howe, with the latter steering his shot past the keeper.

Caythorpe played some nice football after the break and were denied an equaliser by the woodwork.

Springy sprung back to life and extended their lead through Peberdy, with Green grabbing a late third. Man of the match was Vorley.

Springfield: Dos Santos, Stubbs, Green, Dixon, Duncan, Peberdy, Vorley, Howe, Chappell, Wormall, Shaw, Wilson, Sheridan.

Division One

Nobody Athletic 1

Springfield AFC 3

Springfield went ahead after they were awarded a penalty. Nobody’s keeper saved it well but Sterry reacted quickest and tucked in the rebound.

Nobody equalised after the break but five minutes later Springy went back in front, with a great passing move setting up Sterry for his second.

With 10 minutes remaining, Proctor’s shot was palmed away but only as far as Howe who headed home. Man of the match was Sheridan.

Springfield: Dos Santos, Wilson, Duncan, Blanchard, Stubbs, Sterry, Sheridan, Proctor, Howe, Chappell, Abel.

Grantham & District

Saturday League

Benevolent Cup

AFC Croxton 4

Rippingale & Folkingham 2

There was little between the sides and it was not until midway through the half that Croxton’s Eddy Green scored the opener.

Rippingale came back quickly and it was not long before Gary Macken found himself an easy equaliser. James Frost and the woodwork combined to keep the game level momentarily, before an own goal gave the visitors the lead.

The second half saw Croxton under immediate pressure, but a double save by Frost was quickly followed by a 30-yard equaliser from Michael Burkitt.

A draw looked on the cards but some confusion in the Rippingale backline allowed Tom Boyfield to pop up for an easy goal.

Rippingale left themselves exposed, with Frost providing an assist for Green to round the keeper and finish into an open net, putting Croxton through to a semi-final against CK Dons.