Harrowby United Reserves back on track

Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Harrowby United Reserves 5

Cranmer Arms 1

HARROWBY put last week’s disappointment behind them from the first whistle and dominated the game from the off with chances raining in on the Cranmer goal, but to no avail with credit due to Cranmer’s goalkeeper.

On the 20th minute, Harrowby took the lead they fully deserved with Gyoury-Hales completing a swift break with a neat finish.

It was not long till Harrowby doubled their lead when the front two of Gyoury-Hales and Abel combined with the latter slotting the ball in the net from 12 yards.

Cranmer’s keeper continued to frustrate Harrowby with save after save and it was not till the 70th minute when a quick break down the left flank resulted in Abel cutting inside and firing past the keeper into the far corner.

Harrowby continued to play fast flowing football within the whole team and the fourth came from a neat exchange with Brown and Petrou, with Brown curling a shot into the roof of the net from 18 yards.

Petrou finished Harrowby’s scoring by following in from a Coleman shot which led to an easy tap in for the youngster.

Cranmer kept going to the very end and were rewarded with a consolation goal with the very last kick of the game.

Harrowby: Turner, Asher, Winters, Spencer, King, Petrou, Brown, Green, Coleman, Abel, Gyoury-Hales, MacGregor, Peberdy, McDonald, Dixon, Proctor.

Buckminster United 6

Heckington Millers 1

BUCKMINSTER made all the early running and chances came and went, with Heckington always looking dangerous on the break.

After a sweeping move, a one-on-one chance presented itself to Zak Le Hair and he forced the keeper to make a fine reaction-save. The last 10 minutes of the first half were dominated by the visitors and they had a number of chances to take the lead but a combination of poor finishing and a good goalkeeper kept them at bay.

The second half started with chance after chance for Bucky and finally substitute Danny Moore finished with a powerful shot from 10 yards. Buckminster could not hold the lead for long though as poor defending from a corner allowed the visitors to equalise with a header from a corner.

The home side stepped up a gear. Moore ran riot and completed his hat trick to give Bucky a two-goal cushion. Two stone wall penalties were awarded which were despatched coolly by Tom Figura and Lewis Kettle. And Moore still had time to add his fourth.

New signing Tommy Tam was named man of the match for his energetic performance.

Buckminster: Nicholls, Tam, Martini, Adamson, Chambers, Green, Howe, Kettle, Le Hair, Figura, Chlopek, Fyfe, Debecki, Moore, Jaques.

Division One

Bottesford Reserves 2

AFC Croxton 4

THE opening half hour saw Croxton keener for victory, and while the home side were able to challenge the travelling keeper once, they came under attack more often than they delivered.

Ultimately quality of shot outshone quantity and Bottesford were able to take a 1-0 lead after 35 minutes. With five till half timeo, the introduction of Luke Michelson changed the game completely when he first turned provider from a throw-in for Tom Boyfield, before three minutes later turning goal scorer by being first to meet a 30-yard cross-field ball from Mike Marsh.

The second half started with a Croxton salvo but with numerous shots off-target, there seemed to be no real threat. Another Michelson throw changed that and allowed Simon Boyfield to turn provider and give Tom Boyfield his second of the game.

With a two-goal cushion, Croxton allowed Bottesford to come back into the game briefly, their eventual award being a penalty with 15 minutes to go. New signing Pawel Skierski stood big between the posts though, and after saving the spot kick a reinvigorated Croxton began to push on again.

Still failing to hit the target, the last five minutes looked likely to be tense when Croxton’s lead was cut in two. A swift counter-attack moments later restored the lead when Jamie Duncombe beat the keeper to the edge of the box and laid the ball back for Luke Ashworth to settle the tie with a deft 25-yard lob.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Ropsley 5

Aslockton Cranmers 1

ROPSLEY began their season by coming back from a goal behind to defeat a young Aslockton Cranmers team.

Aslockton took the lead early in the game when Ropsley keeper Neil Graham was caught napping and beaten by a strike from distance which found its way into the bottom corner.

Ropsley pushed hard for an equaliser but had to wait until the last kick of the half to draw level. Central midfielder Ryan Wilson-Law found Rich Healey in the box. He beat his man before driving an unstoppable left-footed strike into the top corner.

Ropsley took the lead midway through the second half to take the lead. Winger-turned-striker Lewis Watson got to the byline and played a low cross which Healey turned home for his and Ropsley’s second.

Watson himself scored the third minutes later when sub Steve Schofield cut inside and switched the ball to the left flank. Watson went inside, then out before rifling a shot across the goalkeeper and into the far bottom corner.

Healey completed his hat trick with 15 minutes to play when he latched on to a Paul Russell pass before rounding the keeper and slotting into the empty net.

Healey scored his fourth late on when man-of-the-match Lewis Watson again proved too tricky for his marker on the left. He pulled the ball for Healey to grab his fourth of the game.

Grantham United TRE 3

Springfield AFC 6

SPRINGFIELD kicked off their season with a good three points against an in-form United side.

The visitors went in front when Howe headed in from a corner. Not long later Shaw doubled the lead with a drive under the keeper.

Green made it 3-0 to Springfield and United pulled a goal back from the spot just before half time.

United started the second half brightly with a couple of decent chances, but it was Springy who grabbed the next goal through Shaw. Grantham pulled a second goal back before Shaw completed his hat trick with a well placed shot.

Springy made it six when Webb dinked a curling shot past the stranded keeper. United scored a late consolation from a fine header.

Man of the match was Lee Shaw.

Springfield: McGhee, Duncan, Spencer, Blanchard, Vorley, L. Shaw, Conboy, Howe, Green, Webb, Proctor, Dixon, Wilson, I. Shaw.