Three second-half goals seal victory for Barrowby’s Swan

Share this article
Have your say

Grantham & District Saturday League

Premier Division

White Swan Barrowby 3

Harrowby Reserves 0

HARROWBY came out of the blocks at some pace and dictated the early part of the game without creating clear opportunities, with Flavel, Daykin, Huggins and Willis proving difficult to penetrate.

Barrowby found it tricky to gain any kind of rhythm and the Harrowby work rate continued to half time, with both sides going into the break level.

The second half started brighter for Barrowby and the early pressure paid off when a hand ball in the box handed Joe Clarke the opportunity to smash the resulting penalty high into the roof of the net with some conviction. The protests to the penalty reached an unacceptable level for the referee and Harrowby found themselves down to 10 men.

The introduction of Craig Wilson changed the game and the Barrowby debutant scored with his first touch, finishing from close range after the keeper parried a shot into his path. This goal seemed to impact on Harrowby morale and Barrowby started to play their free flowing football normally seen at the Low Field. Conboy in particular enjoying the freedom of midfield.

Wilson was not and after a one-two, fired in low and hard from an awkward angle to give Lorne Stewart-sponsored Barrowby the three points.

Man of the match was Aaron Conboy.

Buckminster United 6

Heckington Millers 1

BUCKMINSTER made all the early running and raced into a 3-0 lead inside 20 minutes.

Danny Moore scored with a quickfire brace, one from the spot, after great work down the left from Debicki and another predatory finish. The other came from the explosive Lewis Kettle who coolly finished from eight yards.

Buckminster played with confidence and created chance after chance but could not add to that lead again in the first half, although the crossbar and the keeper were tested.

The second half brought more of the same with the home side looking threatening on every attack. Moore completed his hat trick with a powerful shot from the edge of the box.

Skipper Martini fired home an unstoppable shot from 20 yards and veteran Craig Moore got in on the act with a nonchalant finish from 12 yards.

Buckminster man of match was Lewis Kettle.

Buckminster: Nicholls, Tam, Martini, Adamson, Chambers, Green, Howe, Kettle, Debicki, D. Moore, Chlopek, Fyfe, Footitt, C. Moore, Hollingworth, Bowers.

Newark Alliance

Division One

Barkestone-le-Vale 4

Sawmill FC 4

BARKESTONE were quick out the blocks and totally dominated the opening half hour.

They took a deserved lead when Ian Hollingsworth stabbed home a rebound from a Simon Hollingsworth shot. Ian Hollingsworth was a constant menace and doubled his tally with a side-footed finish into the top corner.

Jo Lee then powered in a header for number three and it looked as if Barkestone were going to run riot. It took a fluke goal to buoy the away side but they proved why they are one of the division’s favourites.

Sawmill’s number 10 further reduced the arrears when he lost his marker and found the corner. Barkestone regained composure and Tonge restored the two-goal advantage and brought a frenetic first half to a close with a 20-yard bullet.

Sawmill came out fighting in the second half and Barkestone could not regain the same fluency. Sawmill’s number 10 piled the pressure on when he robbed a Barkestone defender and finished neatly. The comeback was completed in the final two minutes when a long ball was poked goalbound and trickled agonisingly into the net.

Man of the match was Simon Hollingsworth.

Grantham & District Sunday League

Division One

Aslockton Cranmers 0

Springfield AFC 5

SPRINGFIELD went joint top of the league with an excellent team performance against a youthful Aslockton.

Springy started slowly but took the lead when Webb chester down Howe’s ball, skipped round the keeper and slotted home. He drilled the ball past the Cranmers keeper for his second.

Webb completed his hat trick when he smashed a penalty into theh top corner. He scored a fourth before half time.

Aslockton improved after the break but the Springy defence were impregnable. Midway through the half, man-of-the-match Webb grabbed his fifth to seal victory.

Springfield: Baines, Sterry, Duncan, Dixon, Stubbs, Shaw, Howe, Sheridan, Martins, Shaw, Webb, Wilson, Proctor.

Ropsley 2

Long Bennington 2

BOTH sides came into the game on the back of opening day wins but split the points in an evenly contested fixture.

Kicking into the wind first half, Ropsley took a surprise lead from an even more surprising source – right-back Glenn O’Meara.

The goal came from good work down the left from Lewis Watson who crossed for Rich Healey. The striker helped the ball on to O’Meara who beat the on-rushing goalkeeper.

Long Bennington almost levelled after half an hour when Tom Potts struck a terrific free kick from distance which was turned round the post by keeper Neil Graham.

However, Potts got his revenge with the last kick of the half after an excellent passing move by the visitors. The ball was worked across the box to Potts who curled his shot into the bottom corner.

Long Bennington almost took the lead early in the second half from a poor clearance by keeper Graham. But he got a hand to the shot and O’Meara cleared from the goalmouth.

Long Bennington took the lead from a free kick a yard outside the box which Potts took, again curling his strike into the bottom corner.

Ropsley levelled immediately when O’Meara launched a long ball down the line which the Bennington defence failed to deal with. Right-winger Steve Schofield latched onto the ball before smashing it into the far bottom corner.

Ropsley’s man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Neil Graham.