YOUTH FOOTBALL: Ancaster under-13s wrap up title for first time in six years of trying

Have your say

Grantham Youth League


Melton Mowbray 3

Ancaster Athletic 7

SIX years after the club was formed, Ancaster Athletic won their first league title when the original team – now under-13 – triumphed in a 10-goal thriller.

Anthony Renshaw found Nathan Ford-Pain who fired in the opener from the edge of the box. Renshaw’s corner was then converted by Joshua Collingwood for his first goal of the season.

Joe Spencer made it three from another corner before Collingwood was denied his second by a hand ball on the line. Captain Billy Heard made no mistake from the spot for his first goal of the campaign. Spencer made it five before the break.

Melton rallied well in the second half, pulling one back immediately. Jack Lawrie-Marshall made a terrific save to keep Melton at bay but could do nothing about a neat volley a few minutes later.

Ancaster twice hit the woodwork before Ford-Pain made it six. Melton responded with the goal of the game but there was still time for man-of-the-match Joe Spencer to complete his hat trick.

Ancaster: Lawrie-Marshall, Heard, Lloyd, Woodhouse, Oldfield, Renshaw, Spencer, Edwards, Mitchell, Maughan, Collingwood, Walker, Ford-Pain, Mott, Doughty, Nix.

Leasingham 0

Colsterworth Colts 4

COLSTERWORTH were unable to capitalise on their chances in the first half and Colts keeper Bill Addlesee produced a fine save to keep the scoreline goalless at half time.

Colsterworth took the lead through Corey Hammond’s excellent turn and volley from the edge of the box. Addlesee then produced an excellent penalty save and as a result, Colsterworth quickly broke away, allowing Steffan Moreton-Whitelock to finish.

Hammond rounded the keeper to further increase the lead and completed his hat trick by calmly lobbing the advancing keeper.

Colsterworth: Addlesee, Hardwick, Singleton, Pallier, Cunningham, Thompson, Poole, Letchworth, Sharpe, Hammond, Moreton-Whitelock, Trewin.


Barrowby Tigers 2

Gonerby 0

GONERBY put the early pressure on Barrowby but the defence led by man-of-the-match Joseph Wakerley dealt well with the early pressure.

Barrowby then took charge through the midfield and went close to opening the scoring via both Alex Roberts and Lloyd Hanratty, before Jamie Brooks fired home from 20 yards.

Liam Smith in the middle worked hard and had a shot saved before he set up Lloyd only to be stopped by the in-form Gonerby keeper.

The second half saw Lloyd tap in early and Barrowby produced some great passing but could not convert the opportunities.

Gonerby went close to scoring but a determined Adam Halsey somehow managed to clear off the line. Joseph Wakerley continued to mop up at the back and worked hard to turn defence into attack, going close to scoring with a long-range effort just before the final whistle.

Ketton 1

Barrowby 6

BARROWBY started very brightly but were unable to convert chances, and Ketton then took the lead when a defensive error allowed the home striker to guide the ball home.

Barrowby levelled just after the break when man-of-the-match Alex Roberts’s shot sneaked under the keeper. This fired Barrowby up and Roberts added another three to his tally.

Lloyd Hanratty made it 5-1 before Reece Malley made it six.

Both teams looked to press and played good passing football, utilising the whole pitch, but it was the overall team performance from Barrowby that saw them collect the points and set the tone for the league cup final.


Leasingham 2

Barrowby Lions 4

BARROWBY went one up through Bancroft, but a quick break from the home side resulted in an almost immediate equaliser.

Mayfield popped up at the back post to restore Barrowby’s lead which could have been extended further but a penalty kick was missed. Bancroft made it 3-1 with a lovely finish from 15 yards before Leasingham scored their second.

Mayfield slotted home Lions’ fourth to give them some breathing space and keeper Dodwell and defenders Johnson, man-of-the-match C. Evans and Down kept Leasingham at bay to ensure all three points.


Colsterworth 1

Great Ponton 1

GREAT Ponton went behind after only 20 seconds to a well-worked Colsterworth goal.

Ponton regained their composure and had a few good chances to equalise before Josh Crane levelled the scores with a thunderous shot.

Both sides had chances to win the game, with Ponton having more of the possession and Colsterworth looking dangerous on the break.

The Ponton defence of man-of-the-match Liam Raitt and Connor Hodgkinson had a particularly good game, aided by some fine stops from keeper Ayden O’Brien.

Barrowby 0 Ancaster Ath 17

Ancaster Ath 12 Pointon 0

ANCASTER hit top form at the weekend, scoring 29 goals without conceding against two very good teams, to go top of the league.

Both Barrowby and Pointon never gave up and were a credit to their coaches, but had no answer to Ancaster’s pass and move game. Their strength in defence and the brilliant Wilkinson ensured two clean sheets.

Ancaster goal scorers were Harry Spencer, Sam Bailey, William Blankley, Jamie Robinson, Gytis Vysniauskas, Lewis Chessum and Luke Pulfrey.

Mid Lincs League


Young Dons 4

Barrowby Hawks 2

HAWKS started the brighter and were awarded a penalty, with Ian Goode scoring from the spot.

Continued good pressure led to a second goal after a great throw-in by Ross Hollingworth was crossed by Goode for Sam Evans to strike.

Young Dons manage to score just before the break after an initial good save by man-of-the-match Oliver Reid in the Hawks goal. With added belief and an improving performance, Young Dons played well and scored three second-half goals.

Hawks tried to get back into the game with good performances by Ryan Evans and Josh Kelham, but Young Dons held firm to take the victory.

Hawks: Reid, Hollingworth, Wingad, J. White, K. Evans, Page, J. Kelham, Scott, R. Evans, McCallum, S. Evans, Goode.


Great Ponton 0

Louth 1

GREAT Ponton hosted a very competitive and well organised Louth side as the league’s top two went head to head.

The first half was a very close affair with Ponton keeper Jake Cook making a brilliant save from the Louth forward.

Ponton pressed and Conor O’Leary struck a great 20yd shot, tipped past the post by the Louth keeper. Adam Gait also went close.

The deadlock was broken in the second half when Louth headed home from a corner. Ponton had plenty of good chances to level but they were thwarted by brave defending and goalkeeping.

Barron, Gait and Devon Low failed to convert as Ponton’s 15-game unbeaten run in the league came to an end.

Man of the match was Luke Chambers in midfield.

Ponton: Cook, O’Leary, Bradley, Cardoso, Corey, Allen, Rawding, Croke, Chambers, Barron, Gait, Low, Angeloni.