YOUTH FOOTBALL: Barrowby Lions win Hands down

Have your say

Grantham Youth League


Barrowby Lions 4

Ancaster 1

A second-half hat trick from man-of-the-match Oliver Hands won a competive and even game for the Lions.

First-half chances were limited for both sides, with Ancaster looking dangerous on the counter-attack and Bramley prominent.

Barrowby had the most of possession but could only create half-chances, with Edwards in the Ancaster defence having a great game.

All the goals came in the second half. Sam Wright set up Hands for the first two Barrowby goals, both very similar, breaking down the right and crossing for the striker to finish.

Ancaster replied almost immediately from a well struck shot from Gore, which Dodwell failed to hold.

Hands restored the two goal advantage with his hat trick after a lovely finish inside the box. The final goal was worked well down the left, Mayfield putting in a lovely cross for Read to finish.

Barrowby: Dodwell, Tonge, French, Johnson, Cooper, Federson, Evans (c), Down, Wright, Mayfield, Read, Hands.

Mid Lincs League


Greenbank 2

Gonerby Yellows 2

Gonerby got off to a flying start and went ahead through a set-piece converted by Cameron McIntosh.

Harry Hutton doubled Yellows’ tally with a magnificent strike from 25 yards.

However, as the game progressed, the home team regained the initiative and were rewarded with a penalty which was duly saved by Gonerby keeper Daniel Hibbert.

In the second half, the home side were more influential in midfield and began to create problems for the visitors. And with 15 minutes to go, Greenbank scored two well deserved goals to balance this closely contested match.

Gonerby: Hibbert, Crane, C. McIntosh, Smith, A. McIntosh, Pickering, Ladds, Hotchin, Baker, Hutton, Eyre, Subs: Bond, Geeson, Clater.


Barrowby 3

Sleaford 3

Barrowby started very brightly and were rewarded with a fine strike by David Croke.

The home side continued to press and scored again before the break when Sam Evans reacted first after the keeper spilled his shot. Ryan Evans then unleashed a thunderbolt from 30 yards which crashed off the crossbar. Barrowby reacted first and Ollie Hayward slotted home.

With nine minutes remaining, Sleaford fought back with two quick goals and scored the equaliser deep into injury time.

Man of the match was Lawniczak.

Barrowby: Asplen, White, Wingad, Evans, Lawniczak, Reid, Evans, Hayward, Evans, Croke, Cardoso (c), Scott.


Gonerby 1

Saxilby Athletic 0

A well-organised Saxilby team kept a rampant Gonerby outfit at bay for long periods of the game with some dogged, brave defending. With the Saxilby keeper also on top form, Gonerby had the vast majority of possession but could find no way through and the first half ended goalless.

Midway through the second half, Gonerby made the all important breakthrough when the Saxilby keeper could only parry Sam Brown’s crisp shot into the path of Robert McNulty, who converted well from inside the six-yard box.

Saxilby committed more men forward but they were thwarted by the Gonerby back line, superbly marshalled by George Corden.

Gonerby: Eardley (c), Gullick, Burton, Corden, Sellars, Davidson, Gorman, Taggart, Atkinson, Brown, McNulty, Boyle, Lewin, Bautista.


Grantham Town 1

Ruston Sports 1

This top-of-the-table clash ended all square after Grantham conceded from a penalty early on.

Owen Mitchell and Tom Andersen both shot wide for Town, and Lewis Brady was denied by the Ruston keeper late in the first half.

Grantham levelled when Praise Ollalere benefited from Brady’s super work to slot home.

The home side went close to taking the lead through Jacob Thompson, Alfie Morley and Andersen, with Brady having a shot cleared off the line in the final seconds, and had to settle for a share of the points.

Man of the match was Owen Mitchell.