YOUTH FOOTBALL: Gonerby triumph in Newark League cup final

Cup winners Gonerby under-12s.
Cup winners Gonerby under-12s.
Have your say

New Newark Youth League

Under-12 Cup Final

Gonerby ended the season on a high with a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory in the cup final last Wednesday.

Robin Hood Colts handed out a 10-0 thrashing the last time the teams met in the league, so Gonerby must have feared the worst when the Edwinstowe side raced to a 2-0 lead inside four minutes.

Virtually straight from the kick-off, Oliver Jordan calmly shot past keeper Tom Lamb to hand the Colts the lead. Lamb spilled a cross at the feet of Dylan Spencer who poked home from close range to give Gonerby a mountain to climb.

Colts oozed confidence and were passing the ball around a static Gonerby team who could have gone further behind as two more chances went begging.

Gonerby slowly began to get a foothold in the game and, as they started pressing the Colts, they began to get more of the ball, with Kaan Celik setting up Max Jappy to shoot wide, whilst Harry Johnson’s shot was well saved.

Jappy’s workrate was rewarded when he halved the deficit with an excellent strike from the edge of the box.

Gonerby should have been level at half time but Sam Creasey blasted into the side netting after more good work by Johnson and Bradley Munns.

Gonerby started the second half stronger but found the Colts keeper and defence in top form. Johnson, Munns and Oscar Parnham had half-chances before Jappy was brought down to hand Munns the chance to equalise from the penalty spot – which he did.

After David Banjo had gone close, it was Colts who ended the game stronger but they could not find a way past a now resilient Gonerby defence, with Luke Griffin, James Hooper and Gytis Vyskianouskis making some excellent tackles.

When Colts did get sight of goal, Lamb aided by the tireless Theo Barretto ensured the game ended level.

The first five penalties were all scored by both teams to go to sudden death, with neither keeper getting close. All Gonerby’s outfield players scored their penalties and after Griffin had put them 8-7 in front, all the pressure was on Colts.

Keeper Lamb dived to his right to palm the ball on to the post and it bounced out to trigger the celebrations in the Gonerby ranks.

Man of the match was Bradley Munns.

Gonerby: Lamb, Moore, Griffin, Celik, Hooper, Munns, Creasy, H. Johnson, Jappy, Barretto, Parnham, Vyskianouskis, Mufti, Banjo, Johnson.

Robin Hood Colts: Poplawski, Ramsdale, Long, Bell, Stark, Heald, Walker, Archer, Spencer, Jordan, Fletcher, Brooks, Crew, Sibthorpe.