Convincing win for Harrowby United in Boxing Day goalfest

editorial image
Have your say

United Counties League

Division One

Harrowby United 6

Bourne Town 2

A Boxing Day goalfest at the Environcom Stadium saw Harrowby United secure the bragging rites against local rivals Bourne Town with a convincing victory.

But it was the visitors who started the game the brighter and had the ball in the net after 10 minutes, only for Jason Kilbride’s effort to be disallowed for offside. The Wakes only had to wait five more minutes to take the lead when a free kick into the box was headed home by Dan Smith.

The goal stirred the Arrows into life and on 20 minutes a nice through-ball by Martin Wormall found Scott Webb. Bourne keeper Aaron Bellairs saved Webb’s shot well. The ball fell to Sam Hill whose effort came back off an upright.

The equaliser came two minutes later when Jamie Preston cut in from the left and saw his blocked shot fall to Wormall who slotted home.

Harrowby man-of-the-match Liam Jaques had a free header at goal on 30 minutes but could not direct the ball and the chance went begging. The last action of the half came in the final minute when Jack Drury, in the Arrows goal, had to be alert to save a low shot from the right edge of the penalty area.

A much improved second half display from the Arrows led to a five-goal salvo which took the game away from the visitors. United took the lead after 50 minutes when a free kick into Lee Shaw saw the Arrows striker measure a pass across goal to an unmarked Kahmeel Spence who controlled and shot low into the Wakes goal.

It was 3-1 six minutes later when, on a quick break, Wormall got through on the left edge of the area. His shot across goal was going wide but fell kindly to the advancing Harper who tapped in from a couple of yards out.

Three became four after 62 minutes when a corner was knocked out to Simon Bolland who somehow looped a shot up and over the outstretched hand of Bellairs.

The fifth goal came on 73 minutes when a ball in behind the Wakes back four was gathered by Preston who crossed low into the area. Wormall managed to get between two defenders to steer the ball home.

To their credit, Bourne did not give up and grabbed a goal back with seven minutes remaining when a loose ball out by substitute Tom Vorley was played back in behind the Arrows defence. The resulting low cross saw Drury lose his footing and Wakes substitute George Holiday gratefully tapped in at the far post.

The final goal of the game came two minutes later when Webb latched on to a through-ball before coolly slotting past the on-rushing Bellairs.

Match day sponsor was Lincolnshire Processed Scrap Metal Recycling.

Harrowby United: Drury, Currall (Weatherstone, 71), Preston (Vorley, 78), Spence, Hill, Harper, Jaques, Bolland (c), Webb, Wormall, Shaw (Peberdy, 68). Subs not used: Lee, Hotchin.