FOOTBALL: Barrowby enjoy Royals flush

Have your say

Central Midlands League


Barrowby FC 6

Mickleover Royals 0

Barrowby avenged a 4-0 away defeat to the Royals earlier in the month and, rather than concede early as they have of late, the Swans went in front after only four minutes when Billy Stubbs flicked on a throw from Clarke which looped over the keeper and into the net.

McDonald enjoyed his new role up front and after 10 minutes he hit a thunderous effort which crashed the underside of the bar, bounced on the line and spun away from goal. Payne got his head to the loose ball but somehow cleared the bar. McDonald again tested the keeper after 14 minutes but his rasping drive was turned around the post.

All the early pressure eventually paid off when the Swans increased their lead with the goal of the game. The ball was switched from left to right in the direction of man-of-the-match Stubbs who brilliantly took the ball on his chest and, without breaking stride, hit a first time volley which gave the keeper no chance.

More chances went begging as Payne headed over from close range and Watson was denied by a fine save. Barrowby’s persistence was rewarded when on 43 minutes they took a three-goal advantage. McDonald won the ball in midfield and set up Hardy who split the defence with a well-weighted through pass. Payne composed himself and delivered a pinpoint cross for Radford to cleverly guide in from six yards.

With the half time whistle about to blow, Barrowby were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out and up stepped Payne to smash it directly into the top corner for 4-0.

Barrowby allowed the visitors little time in their half after the break and the Swans continued to push forward.

Glencross forced a great save from the Royals keeper but a few minutes later Swans’ fifth was chalked up when he played in Loveridge to side-foot past the keeper.

Barrowby’s emphatic victory was complete on 87 minutes when Watson was fed in to dispatch a clinical finish from a tight angle.